Sunday, January 13, 2013

an evolution of basil pork

I have recently made a number of meals with the Thai basil pork. Gradually I tweaked the recipe to make it more healthy. There is nothing wrong with the original recipe that consist of mostly minced pork if you also have a vegetable dish to go along with it.


While it is very delicious but I prefer a dish with less meat and more vegetable

There are many vegetables that would go along well with this dish. I just use what I have on hand that works. I want something that give contrast to the tender meat. I add a bit of diced Chinese celery and long beans.

Chinese celery and long beans are the new ingredients
just two tiny Thai chili peppers adds a lot of heat - I use 4 chili peppers if I want a lot of heat
I finally broke down and bought myself a smaller end grain cutting board for chopping. It is much easier to clean up than using the meat grinder or food processor.
mincing this pork shoulder took less than a minute - this minced pork would be used in two meals
this dispenser works well for fish sauce -  i tried many others but invaribly the salt eventually clogs the nozzle

end result of the basil pork - with Chinese celery and long beans added
 it still contains too much pork
 the next dish I made contains a lot more long beans and only about 2 ounces or pork
 
In my most recent version I also diced the long beans in smaller pieces to better distribute them. It now resembles a Sichuan 四川 dish.
in this meal I made a simple glutaneous rice but keep it pretty blend to go with the basil pork
glutaneous rice steamer - when I first saw the aluminum pot I mistaken it as a spit pot as they looks virtually identical
for the first time I bought a 20 lb bag of glutanous rice; fortunately the rice quality is very good
I use a lid to cover the rice so it steams faster - this took about 20 minutes



No comments:

Post a Comment