Sunday, May 26, 2013
brunnhilde's cassette toilet - part 7
With so many posts on a toilet conversion project I at risk of being accused of 口水多過茶 - meaning the person got so much to say that he lost the point of the central agenda. It translates as he has more saliva than tea.
Today I made some progress on the shower pan to prepare it for laminating with fiberglass, to creating a smaller pan that is compatible with the Thetford cassette toilet. First back to the bathroom floor that has a challenge that I didn't mention in the previous post. This stacked plywood support for the raised platform is built like a fortress. Each of the three layers of plywood are glued together, and the stack is also glued to the subfloor. Any experience carpenter would know not to quarrel with a glue joint that has a large interface area. I was hoping that Westfalia would just tack it down with a bit of caulking. I tried using a ply bar using a hammer to break a crack for it to get a foot hold. No luck. It didn't budge at all.
I don't want to use brute force that will jeopardize the overall structure of the bathroom. I would have to use a divide and conquer approach. My thought right now is to cut the stack into narrow strips using a circular saw set to a safe depth and break the stacks up with a chesel. I carefully inspected if any nail, fastener, or staple in the stack and I could find none (except the nut inserts on the bottom of the subfloor).