Saturday, June 8, 2013

brunnhilde's cassette toilet - part 13

This should be the last post for the cassette toilet for Brunnhilde. If I were to be superstitious I would skip part 13 and call it part 14 instead.

In the previous post I set out to find a source for 12Vdc for the toilet's flushing pump. I decided to hack the black water tank level indicator since it now serves no useful purpose. The idea is to use the poop sensor harness to bring 12Vdc to the toilet.

i need a fuse holder - i chose a blade type i have in my parts pile and fuse it with a 5A fuse
 connect the toilet wires to the poop sensor harness - i want to save the connector
 the hack behind the poop level sensor display panel
I cannot believe I have two brand new tubes of silicone at home. Problem is they are both over 10 years old and the acetate acid has long escaped out of the plastic tube so the silicone will not harden. A trip to Home Depot.

they has a bewildering selection of silicone caulking but when you look closer they all essentially the same
 oh yes some brands are very good in selling up - i chose the cheapest one for $5.25 next to one that is $1.50 more because it cures in 3 hours; i can wait 5 hours to save $1.50
speaking of silicon - the professional worked on Brunnhilde's plumbing use caulking in a lot of joints; i clean them out before the reassembly; if you are a good DIY you know you need no caulking to put these joints together
the key is to use the right gaskets (and also know which doesn't need one) align all the joints (3 in this case) with them slightly tighten; then tighten them without putting stress on any


The new stainless steel sink drain I installed is 1/4 inch longer than the old one and I was concern that it will put stress on the ABS fitting joints. It turned out it make for a better fit with the existing piping.

this is the old chrome plated sink drain and plastic basket which can never seal the water in the sink - the plastic basket is too light to put pressure on the rubber seal

now ready to test if my DIY joints are better than those made by the professional
i place a baking pan to prepare to catch the leak
 i even have gaskets left over from the professional work prior
The hot and cold feeding stubs on the faucet are very short and they just barely make it through the oval opening into the closest. They are connected to very stiff braided PVC hoses and I don't like the stress they put on the softer hose stubs on the faucet. I want to replace the the PVC hose with silicone hose that I happen to have laying around.

the hot and cold stubs from the faucet

i don't even like the screw type hose clamps i took off - the cable ties would be more than adequate

a neater routing and would make taking out the sink cabinet very easy in the future


you can see the professional used a torch to soften the hose when putting them onto the barb nipples
I test out my solution to the binding faucet hose. I had never able to retract it all the time I have Brunnhilde. I waited until this toilet project to fix everything all at once. Now the hose extends and retracts effortlessly. I am so happy.



it is so handsome

the new sink drain can keep the water without leaking a drop - this is taken after a few hours
you can see the cassette toilet increase the standing space for taking a shower

this is before the conversion
this is after the conversion


laid the bead of silicone caulking around the sink
time to christen the virgin toilet
I cannot determine the pressure rating of the pressure regulator behind the "city" water inlet. I just connect the inlet with a garden hose for the ultimate test. My house's water pressure is about 100 psi.

i can immediately see why the microswitch is broken - if the guy who design this water inlet works for me i would fire his arse
Everything is well inside. I ran hot water also and the silicone hose handle it just fine. Judging from the flow of the faucet I reckon the pressure after the regulator is only slightly higher the low pressure pump. probably between 10 - 25 psi.
  i have to cap the defunct sewer vent hose - i bought a cleanout fitting from home depot
i cap the the black water tank port of the sewer discharge pipe
For the first time the camper is free of sewer gas odor.


No comments:

Post a Comment