Monday, December 2, 2013

asia trip - winter 2013 part 1


I generally have very low expectation when it comes to food in airports. I would avoid them if I can. On the day of my departure from Portland International Airport (PDX), I have a rare late morning flight. I used my United miles to book an Air Canada flight from Vancouver to Hong Kong. I prefer Air Canada over United because the flight has better service.

After I checked in I have plenty of time at PDX so I was looking for a small bite to eat before my short hop to Vancouver. I came across the Elephants Deli. I didn't know it's existence at the airport. Elephants Deli is well know for their decent sandwiches.
I was very please with their most reasonable prices despite being in the airport. If I haven't not mistaken the prices are on par with their store in town.
already loaded with caffeine from coffee at home i have a local IPA - the salami sandwich is very good; all for around $10 USD!
if you are looking for a bite to eat i highly recommend it; it is outside the secured boarding areas (before the gates); they serves Stumptown coffee
There are a few exceptions with food at the airports that I'd experienced. I had good and reasonably priced food at NRT, LHR, HKG, and SFO.
diver cleaning the tank in vancouver airport
YVR is one of the few traveler friendly airports with free wifi and power outlets
 love the graphic depiction on cigarette cartons

 i scored a seat at the exit row
 almost 24 hours later i was on a bus in hong kong on my way to my hotel
Hong Kong was my first stop. I would spend about 2 weeks between Hong Kong and Macau. I had not decided yet which country I would visit next. Taiwan was one possible choice.

I have been going back to Hong Kong yearly in the past few years. Each successive visits the hotels has gotten more expensive and hardly to book. The rate is significantly higher for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. This time my hotel is located very far away from the city center. Fortunately the efficient MTR make the daily trips more bearable.

It was pretty late by the time I reached the hotel. I was very hungry and was not too selective. I found this specialty shop that sells nothing but this pan fried Shanghai style beef bums.
they are quite good if it wasn't for being a bit too sweet for my taste



No comments:

Post a Comment