Thursday, December 19, 2013

squid, prawns, and celery stir fry - 鮮魷蝦球炒芹菜

My recent diet have not been good to my stomach. I can feel the increase of waistline after a few meals cooking with the sausages I recently made. I wanted to switch to a few meals of lighter dishes.

I prepare this same dish for a couple of meals. It is squid, prawns, and celery stir fry - 鮮魷蝦球炒芹菜. The dish was prepared from what I have in the fridge or freezer.
this bits of celery has been in my refrigerator for nearly 3 months; celery develops flavor the longer you keep it in the refrigerator; it also spouts shoots and leaves which is much more interesting than eating just the stalks
this is how i cut them
shitake mushrooms and 4 prawns
a frozen tube of squid - in the past i prefer to buy whole fresh squid and clean it myself for better flavors
the frozen has 1/4 of water content to add to the sale weight so the real price is 1.33x the sale price
all the ingredients ready for stir fry -  there is only 1/2 of the squid used; i sliced the prawns in half so there are 8 pieces
 the shitake mushrooms is very meaty from a good batch i recently purchased
a slice of meaty shitake

I buy dried shitake mushrooms in a 5 pound bag. A 5 pound bag will last me over a year. The quality can very significantly from shipment to shipment and different grades. The bag I recently bought costed $10 more because of the higher grade.
5 lb of dried shitake in a vacuum sealed bag
a few of these dehydrated mushrooms go a long way once they are hydrated - i only need 2 for the dish above; before you cook with the hydrated shitake you typically need to flavor and season them and i do that by simmer them in a broth under very low heat
another light meal of soup noodles with squid, shitake, black fungus, and beef

1 comment:

  1. I have lots of squids in my house and I would like to cook it later for my dinner. But the problem is, I don't have any recipe where I can cook squids. I think this recipe is the perfect solution for my problem.

    Beef Stir Fry

    ReplyDelete