Tuesday, December 17, 2013

thai cookware shopping - part 2

I am a cookware junkie. I cannot resist in buying cookware especially those that has cultural or ethnic significance. I either buy them for functional or entertainment reasons. I should fashion a bumper sticker "I Brake for Cookware".

One of my favorite travel activity when in Thailand is go shopping for Thai cookware. In my recent trip I brought back some more.



If you go shopping for the purpose of saving a few dollars when you are on a vacation trip falls into penny wise pound foolish category. The few bucks you save would likely not make up for the cost of hotel and airfare that you pay for for the time you have on the trip. I shop for things that interest me but I cannot get back in my country.

When I first went to Thailand my first trip was Bangkok. I came across a kitchen supply shop but in that trip I didn't want to bring back anything. In my trip to the country in the following year I set out to bring back some Thai cookware. The problem was finding the shops with good selection. Searching on the web was no help at all. I ended up relying on my patience and my hunch that they must concentrate near the Chinatown in Bangkok. I would be on the lookout for them as I explore the old Bangkok districts. Eventually I came across some whole sale shops on a Sunday. I would learnt that the whole sale shops have no interest in dealing with consumers who just want to buy a few pieces. For example, the spoons are sold by a box of 100.
i knew i am close seeing shops like these



 this area has a lot of whole sale suppliers of all goods and material

With my charm I managed to struck up a conversation with one shop's owner in a mix of English, Mandarin, Cantonese, and Fujianese. Seeing my persistence and warmed up to our conversation of her ancestry she opened up. I managed to buy a few things from her. I then asked where I can find shops that have good selection and will sell to the public. She gave me direction. After threading through streets and alleys clogged with Sunday local shoppers I eventually find the shops with the help of another Chinese Thai shop who so kindly sent their teenage son to show me where the cookware shops are. Unfortunately the shops were closed due to Sunday. I would have to return the next day and shop I did.
one of the few whole sale shops
 another whole sale shop
you can also buy cookware in the market but they are not what i am looking for
This is one of the two shops I go cookware shopping when in Bangkok
one of my day's trip haul back to the hotel
in this trip i bought cookware, electronics, and then some
thai cookware among my trophies from the trip - and yes, i bought 100 of these tiny cast aluminum spoons
I like these white melamine serving ware because of their good heat retention. I like the shapes of few brands - Flowerware, Superware, and Unica. I always hand wash them and never put them in microwave. Like most plastic serving ware washing them in dishwasher will hasten their demise.

this cafe/restaurant i like also use white cups, bowls, and dishes of the same brands exclusively

1 comment:

  1. hi..

    i need your help. May i know where is the exact place of the dinnerware shop in china town that you mention in your blog? I'am about to visit Bangkok in September & I'm looking for dinnerware shop. I'm interested with the shop's picture that you attached in this blog.

    A big appreciation for your help. I would like to hear as soon as possible from you. Thank you

    ReplyDelete