Wednesday, December 25, 2013

watching movies and tv in brunnhilde - part 2

There were some unfinished business with my setting up the streaming movie and TV in Brunnhilde.

One of the unfinished business is the audio. The ideal audio arrangement for watching movies would be a true multichannel system like Dolby 5.1, 7.1, or DTS. For a sensible home on wheels these are not always the best choice for reasons of stored energy and space conservation. In Brunnhilde the approach with the best utility is to send the audio to the mobile sound system.
alpine head unit with bluetooth interface - it is the best and the cheapest head unit that i ever bought
I want to be able to direct the audio to the Alpine CDE-133BT  head unit should I choose to depends upon the content. For example when watching a movie through Netflix I would want to have the sound sent to the Alpine mobile sound system (which also includes the subwoofer) at the expense of higher power consumption. When watching streaming TV like Deutsch Welle or NHK I would want the audio to be emitted from the 22" LCD TV to conserve energy.
kenwood compact powered-subwoofer
When it comes to implementations of conditional access a lot can go wrong. There are many links in the distribution and processing chain and any one of the link can break it, especially with high value content like movies. When I first tested out streaming video from my iPhone 5s I was unable to direct the audio to the Alpine CDE-133BT  head unit. I was unable to pair the Bluetooth of iPhone with the Alpine that day. I set it aside until later.

It would turned out my difficulty in pairing the Bluetooth  was cause by having too many devices. The Alpine CDE-133BT provisioned up to 3 Bluetooth devices (paired record that it keeps). My new iPhone 5s could not be paired until I delete the one for my old iPhone 4s. Because the UI of the Alpine with the very limited matrix display this is not so obvious until I really dig into it. Once I deleted the obsolete iPhone 4s record pairing it with the iPhone 5s was a snap.

Next comes the proof of the pudding. Will I be able to send the video to the LCD TV and the audio to either the TV or the Alpine sound system? Good sign. Immediately I saw the blue icon on the iPhone screen.

the blue icon for selecting where to direct the audio output
The first content source I tried was Netflix. And yes! Touching the audio output selection icon brings up the choices. It is exactly as I hoped for.
send the audio via Bluetooth to the Alpine head unit, or to the 22" lcd tv
i chose to use the last tycoon for testing for its the matrix-like fight scenes with dramatic pyrotechnic sound effects

 boom!
one of the best execution of casting and scenes of beijing opera in movies
 like other streaming tv youtube audio quality is only so so
little girl driving rally car - showing the grownups how it's done
PBS's online streaming implementation is among the worst compared to Deutsche Welle and NHK. NHK is the best overall including the UI, programming information, stability, ease of use, and quality.
a program on PBS which just stop after a few seconds - evidently they intended to not allow streaming of this program as it had passed it's "show by" date but yet they didn't remove it from the users' choice
deutsche welle live generally is second only to NHK live but this day it was broken; the live streaming was nowhere to be found

There is a minor catch with using the mobile sound system for watching movies on the LCD TV. Because of the mounting arrangement of the TV that requires one seats facing the rear of the vehicle. the audio left and right channels are reversed. There is no easy way to correct this. You have to choose to the the sound field reversed in the normal driving direction or when watch video on the TV. Since the placement of the speakers are not conducive to good imaging (presentation of realistic sound stage) when watching TV it is not that important to me. Hay, we are talking about camping and you should be expect to rough it...


No comments:

Post a Comment