Friday, June 22, 2012

iDevices in James Cook

Trying to save a few dollars I improvised my old iPhone 3GS mount to use for my 4S. The iPhone 4S fits in the 3GS mount loosely because of the smaller outline. It is only held there by gravity. It all went very well on my trip until I hit a big bump in San Francisco. The iPhone went flying and landed on the floor with the cable attached. I thought to myself this is penny wise and pound foolish. I could have destroy the fragile connector.

old 3GS-com-4S iPhone mount I improvised - screwed on a piece of wood which inserted into the coin compartment


I ordered a iPhone 4 mount by RAM  when I got home. It arrived, with minor assembly required.


now it would take more than a Richter 8 earthquake to dislodge it

the modular design also allow me to place it in the arm and base I intended for the iPAD

or with both mounted


When I was planning for an iPAD mount I wanted it to be in a secured and most ergonomic location while driving. The initial obvious choice is a mount with bendable aluminum arm from RAM.


http://www.rammount.com/Gallery/images/RAM-B-316-1-202U/high/RAM-B-316-1-202U.jpg
However installing this one would require mounting it onto the seat base, or the bottom of the center console. This would hinder one getting around in the cockpit. Also being so long, however strong this bendable arm the iPAD would not be held firm enough for use to my satisfaction.

I begun to think hard how I can mount it onto the slanted control panel of the center console. The plastic top panel is stiff and strong enough for the job. After a lot of research on RAM's site I determined the screw base would best fit the job. Based on the product pictures and scant dimensional information (short of downloading full-blown mechanical drawing which they have) I have to estimate the resultant iPAD location envelope in space with respect to all the adjacent controls including the transmission lever and climate controls. I was satisfied that the mount with the standard length arm is a suitable choice.

I fabricated a home made sheet aluminum mounting plate acting as the interface between the RAM screw base and the console. The aluminum base allowed me to securely install the mount without the need to drill any holes onto the console top panel, and spread the torque force over a large area of the plastic panel.  I locate the top-leftmost spot for the installation. With the very thoughtful offset swiveling point of the iPAD receptacle of the mount the iPAD is held in a perfect location in space with respect to the driver within comfortable eye distance and arm's reach.

The offset swiveling point of the ball joint when work in conjunction with the other ball joint affords excellent articulation even with the cable (just to keep it charging while in use) attached. I can orient it landscape or portrait by holding the iPAD with my left hand while loosening and tightening the single tightening knob with my right hand. The genius of ARM's ball joints is one single knob tightens two ball joints at both ends of the arm.

landscape orientation - cable on left hand side

portrait orientation - cable on bottom

back side of both mounts


The entire iPAD and receptacle can be removed in seconds to keep from the prying eyes when not in used.
RAM's design is just kick-ass good!

In all I am very satisfied with the installation of the mounts.

When I was searching for a audio head unit to replace the factory one I found the recently released Alpine CDE-133BT.


microphone for the Alpine head unit


It is the first head unit with built-in bluetooth in which you don't have to buy a separate bluetooth module. Over the years Alpine is my favorite brand for automotive audio with their high quality, and understated astute styling. The exception was speakers which I preferred MB Quart. Today MB Quart is just a hollow brand name with past glory and no longer the same German company. Fortunately a lot of other companies are making very good speakers at affordable price points, thanks to manufacturing in Asia.

The Alpine CDE-133BT can interface to my iPAD and iPhone either through USB, or bluetooth. Bluetooth is obviously the best interface method because it is wireless. The disadvantages of using USB are many. With it the iDevice acts only like an iPod in a cradle and the Alpine head unit hijack the control of the user interface.

With bluetooth the Alpine head unit acts just like a stereo bluetooth hand-free headset. You use the iDevice just like you would standalone - with the touch screen and best yet with voice command with Siri (iPAD have to wait for iOS6 to get Siri support).

At $159 USD MSRP, the Alpine CDE-133BT is a godsend for the iDevice. It provides excellent handfree phone call/answer using Apple's Siri. The music fades gracefully into mute when a call comes in, all you have to do is acknowledge if you want to answer using the main knob on the head unit. I won't elaborate on using Siri for other applications.

With the optional IR remote control the head unit serves as stereo sound system for the iPAD if I want to watch a movie with Netflix while camping.



I added a override switch to the console to allow the Alpine head unit to be turned on without having to insert the key into the steering column. In one position the head unit power is dictated by the key positions so the head unit power is controlled by the ignition key positions. In the other it overrides the key and allow the audio to be use while camping. Not wanting to waste time with the parts person at the dealer to find a suitable factory SPDT toggle switch I just used a mini toggle switch from my electronics junk pile.

the small silver toggle switch mounted on a switch blank left of the iPAD

* If anyone reading this know the part number of the SPDT rocker switch for T1N Sprinter please post on the comment.

The US version of the Alpine CDE-133BT has AM and FM radio function. There are other version for other countries. I think the European version has AM, FM, and SW plus broadcast radio data system. While I was jealous of the additional features in the European version I had never resort to using the radio. Instead I regularly use the NPR Music app of the iPhone. It is a portal-like app. It has more music than I have time to listen to. It has streaming broadcast from public radio stations across the US in addition to individual programs in all music genres. Did I mention it is also free (with donations to the stations welcomed)?

NPR Music app for Apple iOS on iPhone - a radio station screen shown

you can see the 4 screens of the app here in the app store

The smart phone combine with the Alpine head unit make CD changer and radio the thing of the past. When there is no cellular coverage on the road I listen to my music collection in the iTune. The amount of stored music is limited by the current maximum memory of 64MB. While th Alpine head unit supports MP3 music store in USB thumb drives. Finding the song or album you want to play is painful without the touchscreen interface of the smart phone or tablet. Hence I never use this feature.

3 comments:

  1. Really nice!
    While the stock radio and sound has not been very high on my priority list for upgrades, this whole system seems great. Maybe I do need to break down and get an Ipad. Did you remove your TV?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Still have the TV as it is a 23" HDTV, which I can use as 1080p monitor for my notebook for video and photo editing.

    ReplyDelete