Thursday, April 24, 2014

leek soup - part 2


A bowl of good soup starts with a good broth. The quality of your broth is the foundation for your soup, be it Asian soup noodle, or western soup. I use pork bone most of the time because I can obtain relatively fresh one. Not so with cow bone. With only few exceptions I dislike chicken base broth but it is just my personal preference.



simmer under low heat for a few hours and strain out the meat and bone; your soup is only as good as your broth
i like my leek soup to have a lot of texture and i use most of the tough green upper; here i added them first to get ahead of the more tender lower part

when the soup is done i added only a small quantity of wiping cream; sometimes i skip the cream and season with salt
i make a good size batch and keep in refrigerator; just ladle out enough to a small pot to make a piping hot hearty soup
A lot of recipes use a blender to pulverize the leek and strain out the particles. I prefer this more country style. With this you get more plant fiber and save a lot of washing and time.

it is so tasty that it is easily mistaken that MSG has been added

Here is an stew of an arm roast I recently cooked. I wanted to post this because of the bone marrow that I included in the serving.

 this is the first time that I made a point of eating the marrow directly
 put it on a toast like you would with butter
 my own sakura from a few weeks ago




No comments:

Post a Comment