Friday, June 12, 2015

coach battery system - isolde, part 2


First thing first. With the void left from the removal of the rear passenger heater I have to first patch up the floor so the deep cycle batteries can sit on a flat surface. I cut a piece of 3/4" plywood scrap that I have.



the diameter of the Teflon tape holder is just perfect to draw the rounded corners
 my solution to the electrical cable - so not to crush them with the heavy batteries

not good enough, the 3/4" plywood is about 1/8" shy to be even with the factory plywood buildup

the pen mark on the duct tape marks the boundary of the two batteries

i scrounge around my house to find something that can be used to raise the plywood another 1/8" - and this clip board is perfect in thickness and density

a table saw and a band saw make this step effortless, almost

the next challenge is to find the existing hole position so ii don't need to drill new holes

a bit more work but it is worth it

making more basil pork



once the battery sits on level platform I made the final check; actually in final installation, the speaker is raised slightly by the trim ring so there is a few mm more clearance



i played with flipping the battery 180-degree around to see which is the better arrangement; this one is definitely not

i also check to see if one battery can be arranged this way (with the two from an L) - no go for two

battery endurance test begins - one meter for amperage and one for voltage

ambient temperature and two thermocouple probes for the freezer box and the refrigerator

I must be decisive with the decision to go with one or two batteries with the result of the test. Should 2 batteries is preferred, I want them to start being use at the same time to minimize current hogging. If I feel comfortable that likely one is viable, I can try use one but plan to upgrade a few years down the road if it is marginal.

The other consideration is installation of a modest solar panel would affect this decision. A solar panel that I can live with is one that fit onto the luggage rack.


No comments:

Post a Comment