Saturday, November 14, 2015

new air conditioner for brunnhilde - part 9



My deepest condolence goes to the victims of the Paris terrorist attack. My country and the free world stand united with the people and the great nation that gifted us the Statute Of Liberty, and to  Paris that I fell in love immediately upon my brief 2 days visit.

The rainiest and the stormy months in Oregon is nearly in full swing now. I am taking advantage of any dry breaks between rain and wind storms to finishing up the air conditioning conversion.


Removing the big 12Vdc cables and the now defunct wiring harness that run between the water heater compartment and horizontal overhead cabinet turns out to be a big project in itself.

 this bath room sink drain joint is cross-threaded - the putty is the only thing that keep it from leaking


the typical ugly and unprofessional plumbing work as found on all of the ABS plumbings - all these will be corrected during the re-installation




 the head of one screw broke

some monkey installed it in a severely crooked angle and torqued the screw way beyond its metallurgical yield point








 here you can see how the high top is attached and sealed with plenty of Sikaflex


i found this tiny puncture caused by the grease monkeies at Airstream no doubt; my Kerstner AC leaked condensate profusely at one time...; that mystery is now solved

a severed coax - more handy work by Airstream's superior engineering and the shits they call "up fitting"
 my only modest investment of electrical parts needed for this conversion of $15; the rest of the parts come from recycling and my collection of parts bin

I considered reused this from the removal of the Onan generator but it is too bulky compared to the $0.98 stamped steel one I bought

LOL - I couldn't believe there are 10 relays all counted in the Kerstner air conditioning system; there are 8 motors and 2 DC power supplies and at least 7 fuses and one (or two) breaker

 the kitchen vent hood duct chase

like any old house there is a hidden artifact from the previous occupant - I found this The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States of America
 MHK supplies the cabinetry to Westfalia

more grease monkey handy work by Airstream's "up fitting" - I deleted the OTA antenna option to make room for bring 120Vac power to the overhead cabinet for the AC
 another useless coax cable stub - there are two now in this photo

plotting the repurposing of the Kerstner AC control panel

the main challenge is the fan speed control - the existing one cannot be used


there is very little room to accommodate any type of fan control
I found this triac AC control which may possibly be usable for speed control of the blower fan - though I prefer a high/low switch; I just notice the monkey in the news paper
the triac AC control would be a very tight squeeze in the space available - I rotated the temperature thermostat 90 degrees but in that position the cabinet opening would needs to be enlarged, even if viable
i pulled out my wire feed welder to fabricate a reinforcement bracket to strengthen the aluminum plate that support the Mach 8 Cub air conditioner
 the welding wire kept melting to the copper tip

i learnt to make this braised salmon with miso from Dinning with the Chef on NHK live streaming TV



organ donation harvesting - I recycle a suitable connector and wire harness
 wiring harness for the control panel work in progress

I am planning to be able to wire up the Mach 8 Cub for a test run on Saturday. The forecast is:

Rain, mainly before 10am. High near 60. South wind 11 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

I cannot wait to finally and completely undoing all the shits in Brunnhilde that Airstream contributed. The air conditioning would be the last of these.






No comments:

Post a Comment