Monday, September 19, 2016

security camera system - part 3

I ran out of the RJ45 plugs to complete my version 1.0 of the security camera system installation. I have planned an incremental installation to do it right. I want to do this on installments so I would have time to uncover areas for improvement, especially the locations of the cameras. Also I would have time to think through the cable routing for the few challenging locations of the cameras.

The order of 100 RJ45 plugs and plastic protective boots arrived. I have been patiently waiting for the shipment to finish up a few CAT5e cable runs.

a lifetime supply of RJ45 plugs

I become quite proficient in preparing the crimp-on connectors - I did waste one by mistakenly reverse the order of the 8 wires

I have no shortage of CAT5e cables leftover at this point - there were 9 spools of 100-foot

When I set out to purchase the security system, I had reservations of the challenges ahead with a clean installation. I knew it would be a time consuming undertaking. I did a lot of temporary mounting of the cameras to discover all the unforeseeable problems. Most only requires minor adjustments for the final installations as it turned out.

one temporary camera test locations

The NVR camera system that I purchased come with a lot of cameras. I thought I would not come near using all of them so I can have a few as spares. In retrospect I underestimated the number of cameras that I now want. While I didn't plan on some locations mainly due to the concern of the routing of cables. I would solve most of them owing to the how well the network topology worked out.

I came close to use up all the 7 available ports of this great PoE network switch


Here is one interior camera which I managed to avoid a permanent hole on the wood wall panel. Instead I drill a small hole that is hidden by the 1/2" molding.

the goal is to location the hole for the cable feed  in the corner that is covered by the 1/2" wide molding

removing the molding

this very long drill bit make it possible to place the hole that close to the ceiling

it cannot be more perfect than this

once the cable is fed I made a notch on the molding and then reinstall it

there is no easy way to conceal the camera's pigtail unless one use an electrical box that would be more unsightly

the quasi-permanent location of the NVR; this is an ideal location as it ties into the burgle and smoke alarm system

a surplus iPad made for a great 24/7 monitoring screen that consumes very little power

even the garage is well covered

baby cam


No comments:

Post a Comment