Sunday, January 27, 2019

an impromptu eggplants in clay pot



I wanted to make a dish that is light in calories after eating a whole scallion pancake. What has a scallion pancake has to do with wanting a meal with lighter calories. It is the starch. I subscribe to refined sugar and starch are the biggest cause of obesity, not fat or protein.

this scallion pancake has 2 cups of flour and I ate it in two settings

I needed a light dinner so I pondered what I can make with the least of effort but no compromise in taste and enjoyment of a healthy meal, with all the ingredients that I had on hand. I had a nice Asian eggplant so why not make a claypot braised eggplant? I had a vague notion in my mind what the dish would look and taste and I set to work. The dish was driven by the ingredients that I fancy and had:


  • Asian eggplant
  • marinated lean pork slices
  • braised shiitake mushrooms
  • soaked black cloud ear fungus
  • frozen sea scallop
  • out the way out baby bok choy
  • garlic
  • onion shoots from my garden
  • oyster sauce
  • soy sauce
  • salt
  • olive oil
  • Chinese cooking wine
  • sake
  • black pepper
  • fermented soy bean sauce
  • cilantro

20 minutes later this free-from dish was ready; I used a single person serving clay pot and had to struggle to fit all the ingredient into the pot (by stages)


I didn't want any starch so I ate it like a snack


I only ate half of it and the leftover needed some quick thinking as to what to do with it. I replenished some mushrooms and cloud ear fungus. I have a piece of dense tofu which would add some bulk to the dish. For green vegetable I added some Taiwanese lettuce. I also added some sake for the broth.

the leftover eggplants in clay pot was made into another delicious meal


I also added some soy bean sprouts for bulk

like the old Maxwell House coffee advert it is good to the last drop


No comments:

Post a Comment