Monday, January 28, 2019

xiao long bao 小籠包, potstickers 鍋貼, and pan fried pork buns 生煎包 - part 2


I am amaze how productive these wheat flour based Shanghai delights are. I prepared a modest size batch of filling for making potsticker 鍋貼 and I had to stuff myself to make some headway. Still there were what appeared a tiny bit of the filling left. I put it away in the refrigerator. The next morning I wonder what to eat for breakfast.

I didn't want more potstickers 鍋貼. Why not make pork and vegetable fried buns 生煎肉菜包? I remember the ones that I had being a child, and I can still still smell and taste them till this day. I like the one with vegetable and pork similar to the filling I made the potstickers 鍋貼 with. I would just make some pan fried buns 生煎肉菜包 with the filling. I reckon I can possibly make four mini buns with the leftover filling.

I made a new small batch of dough. From the experience of making potstickers 鍋貼 I wanted the flour skin to be slightly softer and less dense. Normally you would adjust the flour by mixing in some cake flour. It is just not practical for me to store more kinds of flour so I use a little bit of yeast for this batch as I was making buns.

the inverted bowl kept the flour warm while the dough rose

ready to make a few pan fried pork and vegetable buns 生煎肉菜包

there was just this little filling left

I used the same amount of dough that I made the potstickers 鍋貼 with for this little buns, may be a little less so the skins were made quite thin.

the wrapping method is similar to making xiao long bao 小籠包, except you invert the wrapped bun so the sealed end is on the bottom, and then flatten the bun slightly

test frying the first of these mini pan fried pork and vegetable buns 生煎肉菜包


The pan fried buns I had in the childhood had crispy brown sides on top and bottom so I want the same. The first test buns came out perfectly.


I really like the thin skin which reduce the starch intake so is healthier. The filling is juicy and just love the chrysanthemum and hand minced pork

these are the less photogenic sides where the seams are


here you can see how thin the skins are; the vegetable telegraphs through the thin skin

To my surprise that little filling went a long ways. I was able to make five buns instead of four. These beat any pan fried pork buns 生煎包 I had except those in my childhood. I think one main difference is they were fried in lard.

No comments:

Post a Comment