Saturday, February 2, 2019

home made siu mai 燒賣 - part 2


The batch of filling and the dough that I prepared for making siu mai 燒賣 just kept giving. I saved three pieces that has been steam for stemming hunger the next morning. I had them in a porcelain plate with a few pieces of cilantro that was for visual presentation. Just as I was ready to place the whole plate into the bamboo steamer to reheat, I moved the cilantro onto the top of the siu mai 燒賣 as I knew the cilantro will look terrible being steamed, but better if they sit on top of the siu mai 燒賣.

Normally I would not put cilantro into the filling of siu mai 燒賣. But I do like the subtle aroma they bring and they don't clash with the shrimps and pork. For the remainder of the filling I decided to add some chopped cilantro, and some finely diced shiitake mushroom. They adds to the bulk of diminishing filling and give it a stretch for may be one more siu mai 燒賣.


chopped cilantro added

diced shiitake added and mixed

so little dough is needed for each of these mini size siu mai 燒賣

wrapped and ready for steaming

yum cha 飲茶 without leaving the comfort of my home

 the shiitake and cilantro worked well with the shrimps and pork

between the three leftovers in all I ate 12 and that concluded this batch of siu mai 燒賣

By the way. In the golden era in Hong Kong cuisine, a lot of folks went yum cha 飲茶 didn't stuff themself with a stomach full of dim sum. The old timers would drink a lot of tea and was not unusual for many to only order one or at most two plates of dim sum. They would drink a lot of tea and can spend a few hours reading newspapers or chat with their friends.

Postscript:
I was reading a travel article on BBC about Japanese ekiben, and one mentioned is shumai which sound too close to siu mai 燒賣. I googled some images and guess what? Far out. My home made siu mai 燒賣 with the white wrapper look just like these Yokohama shumai. I have little doubt they must originated from Yokohama's Chinatown. I visited there a few years ago. It is one of, or the largest Chinatown in Japan.

Japanese style Chinese dumplings (shumai)

here is another image from Yokohama Isezakicho Washington Hotel

No comments:

Post a Comment