Thursday, January 24, 2019

glutinous rice made to order 糯米飯即製即吃


This dish is so delicious that is hard to resist the temptation of overeating one's servings. The ingredients that work with glutinous rice 糯米飯 is endless , as are the method of making one. I like to steam the rice in a bamboo KKK headwear, in a spit bowl looking contraption.

In the west the likely place you would find this dish is at a half decent dim sum restaurant. It can be served like a dish of dim sum. It typically served in a small bowl intended for one person.

Ingredients:

  • steamed glutinous rice
  • shiitake mushrooms
  • home made char siu
  • sea scallops
  • wild Gulf shrimps
  • garlic
  • roasted cashews
  • dark soy sauce
  • salt
  • ground pepper (white or black will do)
  • oyster sauce (braising shiitake mushrooms)
  • chopped scallions
  • olive oil
  • roasted sesame oil



the rice is pre-soaked for at least an hour before pouring into this bamboo basket and steamed till al dente

I cook (typically stir fry) the ingredients separately and mix into the steamed rice. It is important to have the right ratio of ingredients and rice.


This time I misjudged the doneness of the steamed rice so I cooked the rice with the mixture of ingredients in this pan for a few minutes after adding some more liquid.


I used just enough of this mixture of ingredients - this is about half that left over for another batch of rice

I use olive oil and drizzles of roasted sesame oil so the dish is definitely healthier than using lard; the dark appearance is due to the dark soy sauce 老抽 I used; I normally prefer a lighter finished color which shows off the ingredients better

Always add olive oil and sesame oil just before serving for best result.

the yellow bits of nuts are cashews - normally peanuts are used; I have two of this servings and had to exercise will power and stop

Comparing to the pedestrian ones served at dim sum place, mine kicks butts as no dim sum restaurant (except those aim to get a Michelin Star) would use the quality ingredients I use.

this is a snack size serving from a second batch that I made; this time I avoided the dark soy sauce 老抽 for appearance

and this one with extra shiitake added - I love the stems that most people discard

No comments:

Post a Comment