Monday, January 14, 2019

hong kong style stir fried beef noodles 港色牛肉炒麵 - part 2

This is my second day on the row making this Hong Kong style stir fried beef noodles 港色牛肉炒麵. The first tasted so good that I could not wait to make another plate. I have enough marinated beef, mung bean sprouts, and stir fry noodles left over to make another one.

This time I decided to make a jumbo serving which quantity is dictated by the amount of sliced and marinated beef that I have left.


the raw beef in the photo is deceiving as it looks way more than there really is - I hand separated the thin slices and lay them over a bed of bean spouts

this the the stir fry noodles that I use for this dish - this turns out to be a good one with the authentic mouth feel

Again I did the stir fry in the outdoor kitchen. It was a bit challenging as we have a high wind advisory in effect. The wind was 20+ mpg and blowing the flames sideways. The worst part is it tend to cool down the perfectly fried noodles while I was making the beef and sauce topping.

today's serving is about 1/4 larger in portions; you can see the perfectly browned strands of noodles around the outer perimeter

For full disclosure the topping came off the wok onto the plate of dry noodles were messier than yesterday's. This time I rearranged a few slices of beef with chopsticks and wipe clean the stray sauce around the edge of the plate. A caring restaurant chef would do the same before letting the dish out of the kitchen.

again I cut it into four pie wedges with a pair of kitchen scissors and transfer each to a smaller plate

this is as delicious as the one I made yesterday - with no less wok chi 鍋氣; the seasoning was perfect too

This time I made some Chinese hot mustard paste as a condiment to go with the dish. It is a big serving and I could only eat 3/4 of it, and save the remain for a snack.

hot mustard made from powder

For those curious, this is my outdoor wok range. It 120,000 BTU of fire power. That is more than 10x fire power of a gas hob in household kitchen. It would burn down your house fast if you try to use it indoors in a residential kitchen. I had to throttle the flame way back making this dish.


No comments:

Post a Comment