Tuesday, January 15, 2019

kimchi onggi - part 2

It's been four days since I started a batch of Asian mustard green to be fermented in my newly acquired kimchi onggi. I could not withhold my urge to find out how the fermentation process has progressed. Long ago I tried to make some sauerkraut and only to be disappointed to find a mold infested mess. I have reasons to expect better this time.

Asian mustard green that I salted four days ago - photo taken before they went into the onggi

mustard green in the onggi four days ago; I realized I need to have much more salt brine so all the vegetable is submerged so I added some

From what I read the process takes nearly a week for making sauerkraut. As I like the sour mustard green somewhat crunchy I thought I would check it four days in. I was very pleased there is no sign of spoilage. The brine turns mildly acidic as it should. The vegetable has settled a bit so only very little was slightly exposed to air.

Since I have the onggi open I took out a few leafy pieces (rather than the thicker ones with stem) to try. By removing these few pieces I managed to have all the remaining vegetable submerged in the brine. I put the onggi  back into the cold garage to let the microbes do their work.

I fished out a few leafy pieces to try; they are still a bit green

The few pieces I fished out were only slightly sour. They could use slightly more salt but it is hard to judge being how green they are. They are certainly edible. I snacked on a couple of pieces. I like the crunchiness. I slice one piece up into thin strips as a condiment to a bowl of seafood congee.

the thinly sliced sour mustard green in the metal spoon

the sour mustard green adds subtle crunchy texture to the congee

Like sauerkraut sour mustard green is a healthy food. I am really looking forward to routinely make them. Once they are ready I would put them in an airtight jar and store in the refrigerator.

this is how they should look when ready




No comments:

Post a Comment