Saturday, January 19, 2019

hong kong style stir fried beef noodles 港色牛肉炒麵 - part 3

This Hong Kong style stir fried beef noodles 港色牛肉炒麵 is so delicious it keeps me wanting more. I picked up a bag of mung bean sprouts and a bag of stir fry noodles. I already have some pre-made marinated beef slices in the freezer so everything is ready. However I want to add a couple of unusual ingredients to this dish, because I have them.


I started this batch of fermented Asian mustard green about 6 days ago


this is a test sample from 2 days ago; this is a piece of stem so it is nice and crunchy, and mildly sour with just a hint of brininess

I transfer the sour mustard green to a jug and store in the refrigerator, as I like them crunchy rather than mushy. For this dish I use mostly the thin leaves that were floating on the top.

in the coming weeks I am going to use most of this up for various dishes


I really happy with the quality of this 5 lb bag of Shiitake so I went back and snap up another bag. If I was ready to take a trip to Seattle to look for a decent bag, stocking up another bag is a no-brainer. It took me a few months to finally find this quality one.




So I decided to give this hong kong style stir fried beef noodles 港色牛肉炒麵 a spin by using a bit of the sour mustard green and braised Shiitake mushrooms. Sour mustard green goes really well with just about anything. It adds another texture and brings a hint of acidity. So too are two mushrooms I used. They add another different texture and they reduces the portion of beef as the mushrooms are quite meaty. I slice the into thin pieces.

the leafy portions are more ready so that's what I used


the shiitake mushrooms and the sour mustard green are excellent companions to the tender beef loin



I also made another batch of this appetizer

Here is another use of the sour mustard green. I slices up and diced up some and use as condiment to a bowl of all seafood congee. They add some interesting bits of crunch to the otherwise creamy congee.


the center bowl is the serving bowl - there are white pepper which goes really well with seafood

As the chopped sour mustard green is cold and will lower the temperature of the congee. I put them into the congee and bring it to a slight boil before pouring the congee into the serving bowl.


there you have it, another use of the sour mustard green

No comments:

Post a Comment