Monday, February 4, 2019

mussels with asian eggplant


I bought some Pacific Northwest mussels without much thought of how I would like to prepare them. Mussels are the easiest to prepare like boiling water. What you need to know is they cook very fast, and release a lot of liquid. You should not waste the liquid they release but utilize it for your dish.

I went and dug out a few spring onion from my front yard. I didn't plant them but they just grew from the kitchen scraps that I saved. Spring onions are quite expensive here in the Pacific Northwest. I am grateful that I have these endless supply in my front yard.

they look messy with mud

a bit of cleaning and they are ready for use

I have half an eggplant in the fridge so I use it to make a freeform recipe dish

no waste on anything here, the wilted green parts of the spring onion are used to braise shiitake mushrooms

Ingredients:
  • mussels
  • salt
  • cooking oil
  • olive oil
  • sesame oil
  • fermented soy bean sauce
  • dried chili peppers
  • red bell pepper
  • Asian eggplant
  • Asian celery
  • spring onions
  • sake
  • Chinese yellow cooking wine
  • ginger
  • garlic
  • soy sauce
  • oyster sauce
  • corn starch
  • ground pepper corns





with the remainder of live mussels I made a soup noodle with them the next day


all the mussels shelled with the aid of a clam knife




No comments:

Post a Comment