Monday, February 11, 2019

roasting coffee at home - part 2


I have been roasting my own coffee for 4 or more years now, with the most elemental of equipment and that is not about to change anytime soon. I am still using the same pieces of equipment that I blogged in 2014.
I am still using the same elemental equipment as I started more than four years ago


I happen to watch a culinary TV show New Scandinavian Cooking that covers coffee consumption in Norway. I have read so much about the world's highest coffee consumption country is Norway so I watched and enjoyed the show a lot. What stood out for me is the emphasis on lightly roasted coffee. This reminded me that my home roasting of espresso has often drifted into too dark, so I made a point in my next roasting session by paying more attention.


here is the trailer to the episode


world's highest coffee consuming countries are Nordic - but my consumption is higher than the highest per capita :-)


If you roast your own coffee you are always aware of the aroma and fragrance that is released into the air during roasting. I have always been conscientious that this means less that are remain in the roasted coffee. I know this all too well in my cooking. The better the house smell from your cooking, the more essence you let escape from your food, and coffee is not any different.

This is my most recent batch of roasted coffee. It is one of the lightest batch I've ever made. The resulting cup of coffee is very noticeable. It is also a batch that is amongst the most uniformly roasted.

A couple of tips on roasting coffee with these most elemental tools. It takes about 20 minutes of undivided attention to roast a small batch. I make about 0.7 lb at a time. Secondly I started with blended espresso beans but soon I realize the reason I couldn't get consistently roast because the blended beans has varied sized. If you ever tried to mix gravels or concrete you will know why. So the key is use single origin beans. Most espresso aficionados prefer single origin roasts. 

this is the lightest roast and one of my best batch

Practice makes perfect. I just order another 20 pound bag of green coffee. Only if I can order coffee by 50 or 100 pound at better price I would have no hesitation in doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment