Monday, February 25, 2019

shanghai thick wheat noodle stir fried with julienne pork 上海肉絲炒粗麵 - part 3


Each time I had Shanghai thick wheat noodle stir fried with julienne pork 上海肉絲炒粗麵 I was not satisfied. I could do better at home making my own. In the past my noodles were the biggest impediment. Slowly I gained some insight into the reasons why. This is a great dish if you are a hungry man and need to fill the voids in your empty stomach.
There are a few easy pitfalls when preparing this dish:

  • noodles too soggy
  • noodles not cooked through
  • too little or too much cabbage
  • too little julienne pork (this is nearly always the case at restaurants)
  • too much oil
  • improper seasoning
  • wrong color (too dark or too light)

I didn't plan on making this dish this time. I used a few ingredients that I have laying around in the refrigerator and the freezer. The thick noodles were store bought that I stored in the freezer and so were the marinated pork. This is the best execution of this dish and I made some minor tweak to the recipe so you can say it is not authentic Shanghai thick wheat noodle stir fried with julienne pork 上海肉絲炒粗麵 but boy! it is so good. What is important to me is it is done in the spirits of Shanghai old fashion way.

Ingredients:

  • julienned marinated pork
  • Taiwanese cabbage
  • raw Shanghai thick noodles
  • julienned stewed shiitake mushrooms
  • julienned scallion
  • julienned ginger
  • oyster sauce
  • soy sauce
  • cooking oil
  • coconut oil (grease)
  • white pepper
  • Thai chili pepper flakes
  • leftover sauce from three cup chicken
  • salt
  • sesame oil



I misjudged the size of the serving bowl - too big

for reference this is the dish in a global Shanghai restaurant chain



after a second serving I have to exercise will power to not eat more

No comments:

Post a Comment