Thursday, September 19, 2019

miso wasabi vinaigrette




It was Sunday and the first of three club days at Oregon Raceway Park. I was catering the lunch for 30. I had done enough of preparation work at home as well as the night before so I knew at least I could drive for an hour before preparing the lunch.

I planned four dishes. A toss salad with novel vinaigrette, two entrees, and a side snack. I planned two entrees as there are some difficult eaters with most limited choice of food and I wanted to please all. I had a handful even with helps as there were no substitute for me. I thought only if I could multiply myself into 2 or 3.

Adding to the challenge the final cooking were done outdoors in an ad hoc kitchen, and nearly always windy. I had no opportunity to take photos of the finished dishes. However I have made the two entrees with some leftovers at home and the photos are representative of what were there.

The vinaigrette were made from miso, wasabi, maple syrup, olive oil, sesame oil, lemon juice and zest, and apple cider vinegar. This is an inspiration I had with a similar salad in a Japanese restaurant. I recreated it by taste with my own spins. With the ingredients listed anyone make this amazing East meets West vinaigrette and once you taste it you will want to keep making it.


toss salad with miso wasabi vinaigrette

scallion pancake


a stir fried noodles with julienned pork and shiitake mushroom


Singapore stir fried rice noodles with shrimps and char siu


 One thing that surprised me is I was expecting the difficult eater to poo poo the scallion pan cakes. To my amazement it was the most coveted item of the meal and many that got a big piece said it is too good to share. Share most didn't.

The process of making this vinaigrette cannot be simpler. Just start with 2 Tsp of miso paste, a bit of wasabi powder and mix with the cider vinegar. Then zest in some lemon and squeeze in the juice. Add more vinegar and add maple syrup to balance the acidity, saltiness, and sweetness. Lastly add olive oil and sesame oil. The proportions are all up to your own sensibility.






Miso in Japanese Kenji is 味噌, which may be translated as the essence of umami. Using miso in vinaigrette adds a taste dimension normally not found in the dressing, that is savory kind of umami. Once you try this you will never view salad the same.

Miso is not unique to Japanese cooking ingredient. It is a variation of fermented bean paste found in nearly all Asian countries. 

No comments:

Post a Comment