Monday, December 9, 2019

slack season’s danzi noodle 度小月擔仔麵 - part 2



Today I put a little more effort into making my reinterpretation of this delightful snack. Again I have no intention to replicate the dish but to be inspired by it, and using the ingredients that I happen to have. The main difference of today's bowl is I made a proper but simple broth from a piece of Alaska cod bone left over from filleting. I also collected some shrimp shells and thew them into the stock too. It is just a little quantity of stock.
The second difference is I used dried spaghetti from Italy rather than Korean dried wheat noodle as I dislike the latter being too mushy and soggy. This Italian dried pasta stays al dente very well even when soaked in a broth. I used the same small batch of mince pork sauce that I made yesterday. The result is a better bowl of this reinterpreted slack season’s danzi noodle 度小月擔仔麵 both in spirits as well as substance.

a broth made with a piece of cod bone carcass and shrimp shells

just a little bit of spaghetti goes a long way

the same mince pork sauce




this is actually  a good serving size for a man's lunch


to keep it light and healthy I used olive oil as well as roasted sesame oil for fragrance

Still there is enough of the meat sauce left to make one proper serving. This time I got better in gauging the amount of dried spaghetti needed. It is all too easy to boil too much and end up with too much noodles. I also use more of the broth which gives the bowl a more balanced appearance. It was the end of the mung bean sprouts' shelf life in the refrigerator so I use a good amount to give the noodles a lighter taste and feel. All came together nicely.




there are a lot more than what meet the eyes with this seemingly simple dish

I notice Taiwanese dishes often use grated raw garlic. It is what makes this dish lively. When done eating your mouth would be left with strong raw garlic odor but thankfully I love garlic, cooked or raw.

At the time of writing this post, Wikipedia has a very good page on Taiwanese cuisine.


No comments:

Post a Comment