Sunday, December 8, 2019

taiwanese beef soup noodles - part 1


I just spent a month in Taiwan, and covered all the main cities. Call it around Formosa in 30 days if you would. As with most trips I took advantage to explore the countries cuisine. I had been to Taiwan before but only on a business trip. You cannot go to Taiwan without trying their noodles dishes and beef soup noodles is one.

In all I had beef soup noodles about six times while there, in different cities. The first time I had Taiwanese beef soup noodles was in Vancouver BC more than a decade ago. It differed from the Chinese mainland, and especially the ubiquitous ones in Hong Kong in that they tend to use shank cut. The other difference is the thick and rather soft noodles they use.

I found this place in Kaohsiung which always has a line of customers waiting

the bowl is characterized by a clear but good broth; nearly always Taiwanese beef soup noodles is made with the shank cut

I order a side of tendon

you pile in your desired condiments like grated garlic and chili pepper paste

you order, paid, before settle down at your table

they typically have a small menu

there are tourists as well as local regulars

the second time I went back was busier; and I ordered a bowl of dry type noodles and a side of tripe

the tripe is nicely done with just the right amount of toothsomeness

the tripe came right away but the noodles came 25 minutes later

the dry type is not exactly dry like lo mein in Hong Kong; it has a more condensed broth

this shop in Taipei was awarded with a Michelin Bib Gourmand once and it always has a long line outside

a peek into the high volume kitchen

it has a fancier menu and the prices to go with it too





most patrons would add miso and other condiments like chili pepper paste and grated garlic to the bowl



this is one of many bowls of my home made beef soup noodles upon returning home

I added razor clam to the bowl making it very special

a bowl of very satisfying bowl of beef soup noodles with razor clam




No comments:

Post a Comment