Sunday, March 13, 2022

external entry gate opener


 The ranch has two entry arches and with gates. One is the external entry into the property, and the other is the inner gate to fence out the deers where the main structures, lawns, flower beds, and the orchard are. Only the inner gate has a powered opener. The external gate has none as there is no electricity there. The only viable solution is solar powered.

While you can buy a solar kit from the gate opener's manufacturer, I deemed it inadequate in the size of the solar panel and the toy-like mounting system. As winter can get very cold here with significantly reduced sunlight, as well as ground snow accumulation. I designed my own so I would not need to redoing it again.


the solar panel is mounted 4 feet above ground; I planned to install a car size batter should it become necessary, but I initially just double up the gel cell lead acid battery which the opener is designed to accommodate


For the opener I chose the same brand so the existing remote controls may be used for both openers. I keep them with the same code as they are so far apart. It would turned out sometimes both gate openers could be triggered if I am not mindful of it even thought they are apart over the specified operating range.


I re-purpose a used satellite dish mount and aim the panel 45 degree towards the south to maximize winter solar exposure; the steep slope also is perfect to shed off the snow

I cannot expect a professional to do a better job





I also installed a keypad opener so my guests can open the gate an access code

It has been two winters since I had the opener install and never once it failed to operate despite the significant reduction of battery capacity due to low ambient as well as reduced solar energy

No comments:

Post a Comment