Sunday, April 23, 2023

char siu mass production - part 1

 

I stopped buying store bought char siu decades ago. None are acceptable to me. I took the matter into my own hands and taught myself how to make them by trial and error. Now I can make very good one and I don't use Chinese bean paste as I don't trust any from mainland China. I use Korean bean paste and they are extremely reasonably price as well as excellent quality. 

I started with small batches. This time I decided to go for broke and make a whole bag with pork shoulder from Costco. I think this is called Cryovac packaging. It is over 13 lbs of pork. As I portion the seasoning and marinate by eyes it is a bit unnerving if I get the portions wrong.





I let the mean marinated for 1.5 days

time to grill a small batch to check seasoning


it is divine with no added sugar and the umami explodes in the mouth; it tastes very close to tasso

a bigger serving of sample

I only made a couple of pounds for now as it is getting too windy out. I decided to make some scallion pancake since I have some scallions in the refrigerator.








100% hame made slow food




No comments:

Post a Comment