Wednesday, April 12, 2023

one more network run - part 2


I used the opportunity to pick up the needed conduits when I bought the last 6 sheet of tongue and grove plywood used as wall panels. As the transition of 1" conduit to 3/4" would be done in a tight confine I decided to use heat to slightly enlarge the 1" pipe so the 3/4" pipe can fit inside. I glued the two pipes together so the transition is watertight. I also reamed the end of the 3/4" pipe to facilitate pulling the cable through it.




1" transitioned down to 3/4"
Even just narrowly trenching down six inches digging 60 feet distance is no walk in the park.

I decided 6 inch deep is quite adequate as the concrete pad would protect it from being crushed







I dug as I laid and glue the 10 feet pipes. At the end of the concrete pad the shale rocks were big. 


I wanted to enter the tractor garage as early as possible to avoid more digging work. It is far easier to run the Ethernet cable inside the building.





I use the vacuum method to feed the pulling string


 

I would prefer to pull two cables through it but I didn't have enough of 1000' spool left that I bought 18 years ago. There is a trade off between running one vs two cables. For two network cameras two cables would avoid the need of a PoE Ethernet switch. But with a PoE switch I can have many cameras and save the cost of another cable run. I decided on the latter. PoE switches are so cheap nowadays and quite energy efficient.

this is the mice for the vacuum method to work


I am now very proficient in making connector ends without making a mistake


the Ethernet cable is fed by a PoE switch in this corner of the barn which serves an internal security camera as well as fanning out a leg to the opposite corner

to leave open the option of insulating the walls in the future I decide to run the cable through the studs

I wanted to install a pan-tilt-zoom camera at the inner gate so I need to cross the gravel road by the tractor garage to it. Thankfully there is an existing 1 1/4" conduit for the gate opener power supply. To add an Ethernet cable I needed to pull the existing wiring out and add the new cable. I discovered there is an existing 14 AWG Romax cable also as 115Vac provision in case there is a need.


I pulled a Mule tape though so I can pull all the cables back with the additional Ethernet cable together



I already have a older PoE switch that is Gigabit up/down but with 100mbps ports so I put it to use

a test location for the newly added PTZ camera at the inner gate



this is just a temporary camera for the inside for test




the run is fed by the PoE switch at the corner of the barn

By now all the important structures at the ranch are served by wired network. The beauty of PoE cameras are they are powered by the ethernet cable, high bandwidth and resolution, and difficult for the criminals to defeat as a system or trace to where the NVR is hidden.


No comments:

Post a Comment