Saturday, May 6, 2023

electrician ranch hand

A few weeks ago I ran an Ethernet cable from the barn to the tractor garage, and from the tractor garage to the inner gate for a pan, tilt, zoom security. While feeding the cable through the underground PVC conduit between the tractor garage and the inner gate I discovered there is a Romex cable the previous owner provisioned but not used. What a shame to leave it unused.Today I played electrician, and get some simple projects done. This including putting the Romex to work by installing a duplex outdoor outlet box at the inner gate. On the ranch one never have too many outlets and extension cables. 
 


a few days ago I installed this solar powered motion activated LED light


the nice thing about PVC conduit system is often you can modify them to make existing installation work

here I added a hole for a 1/2" side port for the duplex outlet box


I was also working to add a motion activated LED light outside the tractor garage

I like these surface mount aluminum boxes

there is already a spare position for a light switch in the existing three-gang electrical box by the door

the middle switch is for the motion activated light



the circuit for the existing Romax run to the inner gate was not GFCI protected, so I remove the most upstream duplex receptacle and replaced it with one with GFCI

I hate these Decora temper resistant receptacles; the quality is so poor that I thought it is a no-name China product, but it turns out is a Liviton

GFCI receptacles installed


I added a wet location duplex enclosure

I checked the hot, neutral, and ground are correctly wired with the tester


I have many motion activated outdoor light fixtures scattered at many buildings. They allow me not to switch on any outdoor lights at night, so not to cause light pollution as well as energy conservation. Both the electrical installations utilized everything I had on hand, without the need to waste time or fuel for a trip to Home Depot. The drive time alone would had been longer than what I spent on the installations.

No comments:

Post a Comment