Saturday, May 6, 2023

happiness is another small engine - part 4

There is this one pine tree that I have been reluctant to cut down as it is a perfect living Christmas tree, both for its form and location. However, its location had became a curse because of the new barn. It is in the pathway of the approach to the barn. When I have the Sprinter Westfalia motorhome with the car trailer in tow it is where a tight turn while part of the road train has not clear the inner gate.

It has grown so much since when I first tested the turning radius to clear it before I built the barn. Now the motorhome front end has to brush into the lower branches in order for the trailing trailer not to clip the "Torri gate". It is time for it to go.

So which is the "another small engine"? It is the Stihl pole saw that I bought 2 years ago in advance of the barn construction. At the time I have my semi tractor neighbor came over to give me some advices as what may be the barriers for a full length 16-wheeler to bring the building up to the site. In addition to other things he pointed out some tree branches that should be trimmed along the driveway. I bought this pole saw expressly for that but never ending up using it nor firing it up, until now.

it is a Stihl

the "Christmas tree" on the left making this right hand turn very difficult with the Sprinter Westfalia with a car trailer in tow difficult

after nearly a year of disuse the Husqvarna chainsaw fired right up with equally old mixed fuel

Being out in the countries, one needs to make life easier with a lot of different tools to be self-sufficient.

the pole saw made trimming off the dense limbs of the pine tree easy before you can get to the trunk with the chain saw

I bought this Husqvarna 16" 14" saw when I was living in Portland to trim the few trees I had; with the wooded property now I should really have a bigger saw, but it handles most of the tasks well still

after falling the tree, I cut the stump flush to the ground, the base is 9" diameter

one thing that always bugs me is the chain oil of the saw always makes a mess in storage; I decided to try storing it vertically to see if that helps

for the pole saw it seems that storing it this way the oil may not drip out









1 comment:

  1. I may need to get a pole saw as well; we have a couple of blocks of road with trees on each side that need trimming often for the Westy to fit.

    ReplyDelete