Thursday, April 17, 2014

brunnhilde's bluetooth head unit firmware update


I installed the Alpine CDE-133BT head unit in Brunnhilde nearly 2 years ago. After market automobile sound systems came a long way compared to even the top of the range systems 2 decades ago. The irony is today the after market automobile market is a lot smaller and most companies are making just meager profit due to nearly collapse of the demand. Most vehicles comes with not so bad sound system as most buyers perceive. Many vehicles have built in system that is very difficult to switch to standard DIN dimension after market systems. For me I seldom find factory sound system acceptable especially when I know how cost-reduce they are.

I have been extremely happy with the aftermarket sound components I chosen for Brunnhilde. I have long been a fan of Alpine. Alpine have always been able to maintain a cut above restrained styling, and very well chosen feature set that are well thought out. The CDE-133BT costed merely $119 and delivers feature and quality that would cost few hundred dollars 2 decades ago. For me the bluetooth and USB interconnectivity are the biggest selling features. No more need for CD changers or FM radio.

There is a flaw with the CDE-133BT bluetooth interface. It often does not re-connect with the bluetooth master when the master is brought into connecting range. It took Alpine nearly 2 years to release a firmware update that fixes this flaw.

Because I was so happy with the CDE-133BT I also installed one in my Mini to replace the outdated minidisc system. I was happy to find the firmware update. In all I have two CDE-133BTs to update
version 1.27 firmware update
Performing the firmware update requires a computer with bluetooth. After downloading the firmware into my Thinkpad paring the notebook computer with the Alpine was quite a PITA. Eventually after a lot of struggle I successfully updated the one in the Mini. I immediately tested the new firmware. Now the head unit automatically re-pairs with my iPhone and resume the music it one app (audio or AV) was open. Nice!

I tried to perform the update on the Alpine in Brunnhilde to no avail. The unit will display CODE 0000. I search online and found that other people ran into the same error code. Eventually I called Alpine service. The service person told me that I have to send in the unit (no charge) after I gave him the error code. I asked if there is a way I can do this myself even if I am willing to open the unit. He said no because the bluetooth chipset the update can only be done via bluetooth wireless update. I infer one of my two units cannot be updated via this method because it has an older build date.

I happen that I have been wanting to update the sound system in Isolde. I decide to go shopping a similar head unit for Isolde. I thought if I find a similar Alpine unit I can swap out the one in Brunnhilde and send it in for update.

Isolde has a high end Alpine head unit and a 6 disc CD changer; due to a number of other reasons I want to simplify the system and thus save power and space I decide to update it with a Alpine CDE-133BT or similar unit
The Alpine CDE-133BT is no longer available. It has been superseded by CDE-143BT. The feature set and performance is virtually identical. As always the company always change the styling.

the old CDE-133BT - i prefer the more use of silver on the faceplate; we will see if the more black of the newer unit will grow on me over time
the new CDE-143BT - the aspect ration of the screen is changed but seems to maintain the similar amount of display capability; the reduction of some silver may be done to reduce manufacturing cost (yes, even if just a few pennies)
The street price of the CDE-143BT is exactly the same as the CDE-133BT when it was new on the market at $129. I have been having very good luck buying open box items so I started searching for one. I found some at Crutchfield which save about 12%. By using my bonus point I got one shipped for total of just over $100. Not bad deal at all with almost $30 of saving.

the open-box CDE-143 arrived
 everything is there and the unit is in pristine condition as i expect
 not a mark on the faceplate
When I made the purchase decision for the CDE-143BT I was counting on that the harness (taking into account of the connectivity I made when installed in Brunnhilde) is compatible with the older CDE-133BT. Comparing the wiring diagram so far everything looks good, only if Alpine didn't change the connector.

connectivity diagrams of CDE-133BT (left) and CDE-143BT (right)

CDE-143BT deleted the audio interrupt in but added the rear pre-amp outputs. The audio interrupt in is seldom use these days so again Alpine made sensible feature changes.

One of the difference is in CDE-143BT Alpine added the rear pre-amp outputs. This is a feature I wished CDE-133BT had. I would move the subwoofer from the front pre-amp to the rear pre-amp outputs.

Here are some photos of the sound system in Isolde:
while this was the top of the range head unit it is quite dated now with the lack of mobile interconnectivities

passive crossover for rear speakers
 woofer for the 3-way rear MB Quart (when it was a German company) speaker system
tweeters and mid range drivers
woofer

alpine bridge amp for the rear speaker - i am removing it to reduce power consumption and make room for better cabin battery capacity; the output from the new CDE-143BT should be adequate without the external amplifier
 the CD changer is no longer needed in the mobile era
the compact remote control should be compatible with the new Alpine head unit

No comments:

Post a Comment