The Carver furnace and the new batteries sit side by side, and they are competing for the same space above the battery on the passenger side. The plywood shelf that elevates the Carver used to be secured to the Vanagon's plywood enclosure for the engine heat radiator and blower is now orphaned without a secure support. I have to figure out how to secure the side close to the battery before the furnace can be re-installed.
the exit and return air hoses compete with the battery; the air hoses were preexisting before this project
all the wrenches involved
One reason Germany produces excellent mechanical engineers is they have an apprentice program for hand on training. I heard that mechanical engineers to be all have to go though metal working training, like hand cutting a piece of metal and hand-filing it to high precision dimensions.
i cut this off squarely with a hacksaw
the Carver furnace is partially re-installed; I left the hoses free for now until I design a battery hold-down system - which also compete the space with the furnace air hoses
By the way, I cannot be happier with the Alpine head unit driving all the MB Quart speakers. There is no lack of power with no hint of distortion (which tend to be clipping of the amplifiers because they run out of power supply headroom) playing very loud. If you sit on the bench seat you can feel the low bass from the woofers too.
the instrument console is back together and the trim for the Alpine head unit installed; only the microphone for hand free calling have yet to be installed - I want a chance of selecting the best location for it and that will require making some test calls
I am all too aware not to commit to something unless I am sure I will never regret. One example is the holes that I had to cut to install the Carver furnace.
the black steel trim bracket for the old heater/blower will be retained and a piece of aluminum will be fabricated to house the V/A meter - no new holes
Update 2015.10.11 14:03 PST:
Taking advantage of another cool day I got busy finishing up the installation of the new deep cycle batteries. I left the design and fabrication of the battery hold down until the very last because the batteries compete for the space above them with the comfort air ducting of the Carver furnace. My design and selection of using two group 24 deep cycle batteries cannot be more optimized. Group 27 would have been too large and anything else would not fit, or not maximizing the amp-hour of the new battery bank.
more testing of my hand sawing skill - I did well
the two notches to be cut
I use my Bosch jig saw for this work
a lot of hand filing to get to the right width
still too wide to fit between the two inspection caps
after a bit of trial and error and design as I went it is done
next is to find the hole locations for the two thread rods - I use a metal square to locate the holes to be drilled
here you can see how tight the space is - that is the reason the angle aluminum at this end has a gentle slope to give maximum space for the air duct of the furnace
the battery on the passenger side dictates the locations for both because it butts up against a bump on the body sheet metal
i cut 2 pieces of 1/4" thread rod for the battery hold down and drilled through the plywood flooring and the sheet metal floorpan
finally it is all done - the batteries are securely restrained and the Carver furnace is re-installed; i am extremely please with how well this turned out - Westfalia designers would be proud of my work
when set to low power, the Carver furnace draws only 830mA with the burner running; just 10.2W of power consumption
What remains now is to fabricate two aluminum panels, one for the V/A power meter and the other for refrigerator external power switch and the USB power ports for mobile devices by the main table stowed area.