Tuesday, October 20, 2015

electrical system update - isolde part 7


Something are worth waiting for. I order two of the low cost panel mount USB power ports for $4 each shipped from China. Similar product by Blue Sea sold for nearly $20 each.



finally the USB power ports that I ordered arrived from China

sure enough it comes from Shenzhen (深圳) - the mother of all consumer electronic components that supplies the world


When I open the package I was surprised to find that it consists of a common auto cigarette lighter socket with a compact USB power adapter plug insert. I thought that is quite clever and it suit me just fine. I recognize the Griffin USB power adapter plug used to sold for close to $10.

Normally I dislike automotive "cigarette lighter" power adapters. They are a design that is long overdue to be replaced by a better design. The biggest problem with them is the plug tends to dislodge themselves because of the spring-loaded positive contact. This are not too bad as there is enough tension of the side springs to keep the center spring from pushing the plug out. It that happen I can always glue the insert permanently into the receptacle.



The first thing I did was to test them to ensure they are acceptable. I connected each to a lab power supply with current limit set to a few hundred mA in case something goes amiss. Sure enough one of the USB power adapter plug insert was bad. It seems to have a dead short on the 12V input. That is the risk you run in buying less than name brand from China. However that does not mean the name brand counterparts do not use similar or same voltage regulator inside.



The other thing that is my test is to see if the quiescent current is acceptable. I don't want something that consume too much power just being there in the electrical system. The power supply's meter showed 16mA. That is acceptable in my book. I check another USB power adapter plug, and it too reads 16mA.

this one also consumes 16mA of quiescent current; in fact electrically they both perform very similarly and I would not be surprise they have the same Chinese domestic voltage regulator

this is my favorite one because it has a built-in 30-pin iOS device connector; it draws 26mA because it was one of the earliest product - from the iPhone 3GS era

 i have been reading up on Vanagon's air conditioning system



Except for the defective insert, I am satisfied with the product. Next is to decide how to mount it.

I discarded the rubber cover flap for a clean look

here is the utility panel that I made a few days ago

I have never use the front table, and for the first time I notice these two table are at different height; another attention to detail touch by Westfalia; the higher table are meant to be used by the two front seats which are higher than the bench seat
i have been wanting to provision a 12V receptacle also for used with 12V devices, like a notebook computer and placing two of these side by side is perfect; and there is just enough space without being too crowded

I have been considering mounting a 12V receptacle on the lower (below the table top) half of the panel. This is no longer necessary as there is enough space for two of these.


while you can buy a set of sheet metal cutting dies for this job, they are quite expensive and even with a big set the chance of not having the right dimension one is very high

aluminum is very easy to file with a good set of metal files
 together they will be fused at no more than 15A

mounting installation complete;  re-purpose the defunct vent port of the old refrigeration came to full fruition
i am pleased of how this turned out - Westfalia's designers would be proud; for the first time Isolde has well located power ports for electronic devices


No comments:

Post a Comment