Sunday, October 18, 2015

splendid isolde - part 1


I have been wanting to take some night photographs of Isolde and Brunnhilde. To do this a tripod and a normal camera is required instead of a smart phone. There is no supplemental lighting used, just very long exposures.

Here are some of Isolde's inviting interior that I took tonight.

i am just in awe how legible and pleasing are the old world instrument gauges
For laymen, one of the most overlooked aspect of interior design is lighting. Lighting is one area that can delivery the most impact when used expertly. By that I don't mean the long exposure photography I did here, but rather the lighting design of Isolde.

in a few photos you can clearly see the greenish spectrum of the LED galley light; i much prefer ambient lighting on the warmer side - like that from halogen lamp

you can see that LED and incandescent lights don't play well together in photography
I have consider replacing the incandescent bulbs in the galley light fixture with LED. Actually, long before the advent of LED lighting I had invested in cold cathode ray fluorescent tubes but never got around to install them. Recently I found the warm white LED and thought I would give them a try. With the outcome of these photos I am reconsidering not going with the LED bulbs.

I might just go back to my long time use of only using one instead of all three incandescent bulbs. I might re-evaluate the cold cathode ray fluorescent tubes that I bought long time ago but never installed. For all the LED lightings that I have seen, they are poor substitute for ambient lighting for night time use because they don't give out similar light spectrum as with good halogen lamps.

The three marine task light fixtures that I installed are the lowest wattage halogen that I am aware. The light bulb each consumes only 4W (I know, some would say wow, that is 4 times the LED, but efficiency is not be all end all consideration), and puts out a spectrum of light that I consider pleasing for nighttime illumination.

the same bottle and glass of wine as prop gets a bit old after a few photos





15.10.22 Update:
I remarked above that the the LED and halogen lighting do not play well together as seen in the photos with them side by side. It turns out that the pronounce green tint light from the LED bulb is the result of the camera optics and sensor, which combined clearly do not result in photo that reflect an average person's visual spectral respond. In reality with the two different fixtures illuminating side by side, the 5w halogen is certainly more pleasing (at least to me), while the "warm white" LED bulbs are quite good. They only have a ever so slight green tint to them - hardly as dramatic as in the photos.

Not in anytime soon, that any LED fixture is going to displace the marine 5w halogen fixtures I installed.




1 comment:

  1. Some Westfalia-Sprinter owners are getting together at Fort Casey on November 13 - 15. Care to join us? You can email me at sunnyharvy@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete