Monday, January 2, 2023

a temporary sink in the barn


At this point, I have not enable fresh water and sewer in the barn. I didn't want the water plumbing to freeze before I install a reliable source of heating which is the multi-zone mini split heat pump. A utilize sink would be very welcoming until the full bath and kitchenette are install down the road. While I have procured a Rinnai full size on demand water boiler that would not be installed until a lot more finishing work is done to the interior of the barn.

I bought a utility sink from Costco, and as expect, it comes with a typical crappy mixing faucet like all those out for sale in USA. For the temporary sink I want cold and hot water, done in Asian way. The hot water will be supplied by a Japanese instant hot water boiler that is in nearly every home kitchen there. 


I was so delighted when this arrived from Japan


a bench test setup to ensure it is compatible with our propane mix and pressure

I needed a back plane to support the boiler and I didn't want to drill holes into the SS sink so I came up with this idea 


I didn't want to waste money glue up a u-trap so I just cut the ABS down pipe to length; screw the plumbing code


now onto the back plane

as the weight of the boiler plumbing and back plane tips the sink assembly to the back I added a long piece of plywood to act as a crutch at the back

As there are a lot of plumbing, fixture,  and utilities not yet ready to begin I need a cost and time efficient way to arrange enable the water supply to the temporary sink. I want to avoid wasting time and material so I want to install a cold water manifold in anticipating all the future needs, but yet keeping the material to the minimum. Plumbing parts like pex fitting and even PVC ones are expensive. The worst are threaded parts especially nipples.

In the shopping trip I stopped by Home Depot with a list of things I need, but I omitted a 3/4" ell and ball valve for the water line to bay 2. I was unable to cap the end of the manifold so I scrounge what I have to avoid a 3 hours round trip to Home Depot again.

I found this used PVC segment from a previous project which would have been perfect had it not because of the female end is 1/2" rather than 3/4", so it could only serve as a plug


at least I resolved the show stopper issue



next challenge is the existing big-ass hole the sink has; I used this big washer which give the faucet adequate support in the large diameter hole

this mixing faucet came with the sink; while not the most offensive it does not meet my esthetic sensibility even for a utility sink


it is constructed of all brass; the 1/4 turn hand knob is so elegant and silky smooth (ceramic valve)

next is onto installing enough of the fresh water connections comprehending the branches that will be added down the road

even with a trip to Home Depot I omitted one crucial 3/4" pex part; I would just work around it with the parts I have in my junk pile


all plumbed up

of the two major brands in Japan, Rinnai is the prettiest


next is to open the underground outdoor valve to let the water in

this free insulation is very effective keeping the valve body from freezing down to negative F ambient


the excellent aerated stream from the faucet

silky smooth thumb knob

the shower setting of the boiler faucet is equally good

The boiler would modulate the water flow rate to the temperature setting of the dial and the fuel supply setting. It is truly beautiful piece of home appliance with decades of refinements based on a great design. The controller, proportional valve, and gas ignition and safety all are powered by just a pair of D cell batteries. It is a pleasure to use and the hot water is available virtually in an instant.

the faceplate and controls are simple, and yet so elegant with well chosen fonts and excellent graphic design; there is no attempt to embellish

No comments:

Post a Comment