Monday, June 18, 2012

grouper 石班

Fresh grouper 石班 is one of the most prized fish in Southern China. It is appreciated for it's fine meat texture and savory clean taste. There are many variety of them in different part of the world. Some tastes better than others and for the finest tasting one, steaming is the best way to preserve the subtle and delicate flavor and texture of the meat.

For a long time live grouper 石班 was impossible to find here in Portland, Oregon. In recent years you may encounter it occasionally in a number of Asian seafood stores here. Often than not the are the not so good eating varieties.

I recently seeked out a fish monger that I had not visited in the past and it has became my supply of live grouper 石班.

This green grouper 青班 would fetch very good price in Southern China like Hong Kong. I brought it home live and clean it myself.  Grouper 石班 is very strong and you have to knock it out by whacking it hard on the head with a cleaver to knock it unconscious before cleaning it.

I always clean fresh fish myself because I don't trust my fish monger to do a thorough job. I also don't like when they have the habit to cut off the fins. Asians prefer to see the whole fish served, not to mention very little of the fish is not eaten.


steam in a steamer.




this is Cantonese style - just julienne scallion, ginger, soy sauce and oil. iPhone included for scale.


nothing is wasted, even the skin and head





No comments:

Post a Comment