Thursday, June 21, 2012

springrolls 春卷

Most Asian cultures have a version or more of this. It is quite easy to make. I am eating a 3rd batch (the next morning) of this while I write this - eat your heart out.

I seldom adhere to a recipe. I usually use what I have in the fridge and freezer. This one has pork, shrimp, dried shitake mushroom, Asian chives, and garlic.

I use a food processor to chop the garlic, pork, and shrimp. I normally prefer to use a meat grinder because it yields more consistent texture instead of pulverizing the ingredients. I hand chop the chives.

I would like some bamboo shoot in it but I don't have them on hand.




this time i used the food processor; normally i prefer to use a meat grinder which gives more consistent bit sizes
i hand cut the shrimps

add seasoning





Good spring rolls must have good wrapper. It should be very light and thin, like good crepe. The best kind are the one the sheets seem impossible to separate. The sheets are not uniform and have very thin edges sticking together. They are handmade a sheet at at time like crepes.

see the semi-transparency


In my corner of the world I always buy this brand. It is from Philippine.




It is best to under-season the filling - so you can dip into your favorite condiment which invariably are a bit salty.



No comments:

Post a Comment