Tuesday, June 11, 2013

brunnhilde got presents

Just a couple of goodies for Brunnhilde.

In a way one of these is not exactly new. One is an Ikea LED light fixture I was doing prototyping last autumn to determine if I want to install it and the best location. I have keep the halogen lamps for the kitchen area as I prefer the warm spectrum halogen lamps gives out. I swapped the stock 20W with 10W bulbs and the brightness for both sets are quite adequate for me.

When I use computing devices, watch video, or even just lounging around I want a fixture that give a much lower illumination any existing fixture can provide. Power conservation of the house batteries is also another big factor

knowing i would not use it with 110Vac i didn't buy the AC cord; the white box is the AC adapter


my chosen location is here - i carefully place it so it is less likely to be hit when accessing the upper berth
Satisfy with the location I wanted to add a switch for it. I don't want to add a switch to the cabinetry so this involves an Ikea hack that I devised. Actually there are two hacks. The first one is determining the light fixture is a 12V fixture. Ikea sold it with a AC adapter and there is no indication what DC voltage is. Also there is no information which wire is positive. The second hack is to add a toggle switch to the aluminum arm.

i found a mini toggle switch in my hobby parts pile; how and where to cut the wire is critical to the finished appearance
the white stuff is silicone to prevent the loose interface from rattling; it also aligns the light bar evenly on the arm
look from under
 great job - i was able to keep the two plastic cable restrains
I mounted the fixture to a rectangle piece of plywood which acts as a spacer. I then adhere the plywood to the top of the cabinet with a small amount of silicone so no drilling into the cabinet. Also in case in a head strike the fixture will just pop loose. I easily connect the power from the same source that supplied the new toilet. It draw so little current the fuse won't even notice it. The light color temperature and brightness is perfect as an ambient light for the lower berth/seats.

pull the switch forward is on
 push in is off
used as ambient lighting

The second present is a new outdoor shower arm. Last year to solve the poor flow of the shower arm in the bathroom I repurposed  the outdoor shower arm for use inside because it is a nicer looking arm as well as providing better spray pattern.

A few days ago I had been surfing for RV shower arm but pretty well dashed the hope to find one with acceptable appearance not to mention one that would work properly with Brunnhilde's low pressure and low flow pump.

Then I found this cheapest one that is all white. I immediately knew what it is. It is made by the same manufacturer as Brunnhilde's outside shower arm. It is a sister design and sold under different brand. This is a very common practice for bath and kitchen fixture products.


it arrived


i like the simple look

 i rushed outside to test it and it has this feeble "spray" - so what gives?

they added a plastic disc to restrict the flow to adjust for US RV high pressure high flow system

simple obstacle calls for a simple solution

much improved


the original one has a slight edge and better fan out
i wanted to see if they are indeed sister product so I open both up; and they have the similar construction except the new ones does not have the brass screw head
i didn't take picture of the white arm disassembled - i also remove the hanger ring from this one as it is not a needed feature for inside use
i put the chrome metal hanger onto the new arm - this should prove they are sister products
look what i just created - this one on Reimo's catalog


the inside one looks better without the hanger ring now
 this was how it look with the hanger ring

a tight spray pattern for use in the sink


now the outside one has a hanger


No comments:

Post a Comment