Thursday, June 13, 2013

brunnhilde's slimming program - part 3



The swimming pool vacuum hose I ordered arrived. I shopped around online and this one sold by Amazon delivers the biggest bang for the buck. It is made in USA and 27 feet long for just under $30.

I originally want a 1 1/2" diameter hose but they are less common and very expensive. I decided to compromise on 1 1/4". I think it should be more than adequate. The hose material is quite good and you cannot crush it. The box say "Forge Loop" construction. While it depict the overlapping of the spiral wound construction I am pretty sure the overlap is fused together, hence liquid will not leak through the overlap.

I was hoping for the fittings on the hose ends does not swivel and it turns out so. The swivel joint would leak. I pull out my collection of ABS plumbing fitting to see how I may connect the hose to one. While evaluating the hose for use in this application I didn't want to open the package in case I decide not to use it. I want to return to Amazon without them taking a loss selling it as a used item.


The larger diameter part of the hose end fitting fit snugly in this 1 1/2" female threaded fitting. So it has the same outer diameter of a 1 1/2" ABS pipe. This is great. It means I can construct Brunnhilde's waste water discharge pipe with 1 1/2" ABS plumbing parts and use this 1 1/4" hose. My plan is to secure the hose to the ABS with silicone caulking.

the slight taper of the hose end fitting creates a friction fit interface to a 1 1/2" ABS fitting
you can see here what the dump hose would look like - except I will shorten the long section of the pipe; the other piece of the p-trap will be the tail end of the discharge pipe on the camper side; the opening will face inwards
here you can see how i can eliminate the pipe altogether by directly joining the hose to the p-trap; of course the smaller diameter segment of the white fitting will have to be trimmed off
 here is how it would be like when connected
The weather here has turned very rainy this whole week, but dry days are coming starting tomorrow.

Update 14.06.13 07:26 PST:
My assessment of converting the 3" discharge pipe to one constructed of 1.5" one fabricated out of ABS pipe fitting is low risk. I will save the existing pipe and hose holding assembly for reservation of resale. I tally up the 1.5" ABS pipe fittings I will need to pick them up all at once at Home Depot.

Note to self - don't forget to check the ABS adhesive and cleaner I have left over from last use in case they dried out.

I learnt from experience whenever doing plumbing, always buy more fitting you think you will need. Also if you need a standard 90 degree elbow, buy also the longer street elbow. Better yet if you are dealing with a tight quarter, buy the more expensive one that has a male slip end too. You can then return all the unused parts in your next trip to HD. I don't feel guilty doing this. I spent tens of thousand there over the decades and I never return broken things because of my fault. Everything I return goes back to the shelves.

The conversion looks to be an easy job. There is no bend. The new smaller diameter pipe will just join in at the straight 1.5" existing pipe. Because of the diameter being half that of the white hose storage tube, the hanger needs to be 0.75" lower to maintain concentricity.

the incision point would be at the middle of the horizontal ABS pipe that is horizontal - this will preserve the old discharge pipe assembly for resale
 you can see in this photo the 1.5" pipe is center of the white hose holder
this is the inner holder - i don't know if i can swap the round bracket with one that is for the OD of 1.5" ABS pipe; what ever i do i want to preserve the ability to return the bracket to use with the old discharge pipe assembly
 this is the outer hanger
I really cannot plan on what to buy for the hangers until I remove the old discharge pipe assembly.




No comments:

Post a Comment