Sunday, June 9, 2013

brunnhilde's slimming program - part 2

I did a bit more research to find a 1.5-inch ID ABS fitting that has a secure and easy to use joint as I mentioned in my post yesterday. This is a key component of my plan to rid the overbearing waste water discharge pipe on Brunnhilde.

The joint that I like to use is the union joint in the ubiquitous ABS p-traps used in resident application. It is made by Nibco.


a 1.5-inch ABS p-trap
this self-aligning union joint requires no gasket or o-ring to form a water tight seal with just light hand tightening - an ideal joint for serving the same purpose as the US RV bayonet joint but much more ergonomic
I found a number of white ABS fittings made by Hayward for pools and hot tubs yesterday. They looked promising if they also employ similar tapered self aligning design.

one of many different 1.5-inch ABS unions made by Hayward
I spent some time on the web to determine the joint of these unions made by Hayward. The manufacturer provide no drawings or details. However I found the replacement parts for them it is clear to me they all employ an o-ring and perhaps a gasket. Clearly this is not what I want. I want a simple and secure joint with no loose pieces. I am just going to use the surplus ABS p-trap I already have. Here is how  plan to use it.

In this picture i laid out the two pieces in reference to the existing discharge pipe. The piece without the collar will be on the vehicle and the one with the u-bend will be fixed to the dump hose. I would place the p-trap horizontally so it just create some exciting bends for the waste water molecules as they are merrily liberated from the dark prison.

even with a discharge pipe scabbed together with bits and pieces from my scrap pile it is better than what airstream can come up with



No comments:

Post a Comment