Wednesday, February 27, 2019

east meets west


This is an improvised simple meal that I made. It is a meal that I would make when I don't feel like spending much effort.

I have a 3/4 head of Taiwanese cabbage in the refrigerator. I also have some sweet mini peppers as well as Serrano peppers. All I need is to retrieve a vacuum pack of duck confit from the freezer. Duck confit stores very well in the freezer in vacuum bag.

I put two legs into each vacuum pack bag and stored in the freezer. To make a meal, I retrieve a pack and warm the bag up with a pot of water on the stove under low heat. Once the leg is near boiling temperature I brown the skin under the gas salamander broiler and the leg is ready to serve.




I stir fried the cabbage in coconut grease that I recently bought. I used Thai fish sauce to season the cabbage. The duck confit is most easily prepared as all I needed to do was to warm up the vacuum pack in water, followed by browning the skin in the salamander broiler. Discovering using coconut grease for frying has been one big revelation for me.

coconut grease




Before you switch from Canola oil to coconut grease for your cooking you should first ask your cardiologist if coconut grease is right for you. ;-) By the way, duck confit is poached in duck grease for hours.

This was so good I made another one for dinner. This time I added two Gulf shrimps which I broiled them together with the duck leg. I like a big serving of the stir fried cabbage with fish sauce.


the julienned Serrano pepper packed a lot of heat


Ingredients:
  • pre-made duck confit
  • Taiwanese cabbage
  • scallion
  • garlic
  • ginger
  • coconut oil
  • fish sauce
  • black pepper
  • sweet mini pepper
  • Serrano pepper
  • wild Gulf shrimps

No comments:

Post a Comment