Wednesday, March 6, 2019

daikon cake 蘿蔔糕 - part 5


This is a boring post as there is not much new to write about of my culinary ventures to make a perfect daikon cake 蘿蔔糕. It is just that I finished the small loaf and dug into the large one. The small loaf was made out of necessity to use the remaining mixture when the large round cake mold was filled to the brim.

I want to show what the big round loaf looks when released from the cake mold, and here it is; all 4 pound of delicious glory. The mold did a good job for clean release. The only down side of using this mold is inevitably some juice leaked into the the boiling water during steaming. Any escaped juice means flavor lost. The truth is very little was lost. A lot of people uses single-use disposable aluminium foil trays. I avoid using anything disposable whenever possible. It is in my DNA.

the glorious 4-lb loaf of daikon cake 蘿蔔糕

I saved one half in the freezer by wrapping it in aluminum foil while I take time to polish off the other half

cutting a slice off the center of the circle with uniform thickness requires some care as you need a long knife that is thin and stiff to maintain control of the blade's attack angle through the length

Daikon cake 蘿蔔糕 is almost like a Western meat loaf, but with much less calories and fat.


I fry the two sides with a small dab of coconut oil as I don't want to smoke up the kitchen

15 minutes later

another serving of snack


No comments:

Post a Comment