Sunday, March 3, 2019

stir fry of assorted ingredients with chinese celery 什錦炒中芹


This is a dish resulted from clearing out the refrigerator and freezer. With the exception of the vegetables all other ingredients are from the freezer or dried from the pantry. It is a stir fry of assorted ingredients with Chinese celery 什錦炒中芹. I retrieved a good amount of frozen shrimps that are freezer burnt, and a bit of leftover marinated beef. The beef was not enough to make a meal. The vegetables are also close to the limit of shelf life.

these forgotten shrimps found in the freezer suffered from severe freezer burn; no worry I can revive them and make them delicious

Ingredients:
  • Gulf shrimps
  • slices of marinated beef
  • shiitake mushroom
  • dried soy milk skin in stick form
  • Chinese celery
  • garlic
  • ginger
  • fermented bean paste
  • oyster sauce
  • cooking oil
  • coconut oil
  • Thai basil
  • Serrano peppers
  • sweet baby red peppers
  • corn starch

As there are so many different ingredients, the resulting dish is generous portion. I used this big serving plate and there would be quite a bit of leftover.


I did the stir fry in the outdoor kitchen in this blustery and cold March day. The wind was blowing the flame sideways and I had a hard time controlling the heat. Hence the gravy clumped to some areas and not distributed well.



Earlier in the day, I also cleaned out two small duck breast from the freezer that I saved but never got to use them. They are not that good as they are too tough for pan frying so I cooked them like I would with duck confit. After hours of simmering in duck fat at very low temperature they are quite good. I made an East meet West dish out of them.

the still frozen duck breast sitting on top of the duck fat that is still solid

A few hours later I made this East meet West dish. There is duck breast cooked like duck confit, Shanghai thick noodles, shiitake mushroom, and dense tofu.



I also retrieved this forgotten cuttlefish from the freezer. It is amazing what you can find in the freezer.


No comments:

Post a Comment