Friday, December 13, 2013

asia trip - winter 2013 part 11

I have been anxious about hitting the storage limit with the thousands of photos I posted in my blog. I have checked my Google account many time to no avail. Are the photos that I uploaded stored in my Picasa account or in my Goggle storage. I had a hard time telling if Picasa and Google storage (now called Google Drive) one and the same.

From the set of copies in my local storage I know I had uploaded no less than 1.6GB of photos and yet my Google Drive is hardly used.

something does not jibe - i used only 70MB
Doing enough search I eventually found the answer. It turned out Google really want to encourage Blogger users to create engaging contents for the obvious benefit to Google. Any photos up to 2048x2048 and videos up to 15 minutes do not count towards the storage. I limit my uploaded photos to 1024 or 1200 wide so only few panoramic ones exceed these stipulations. Now I can post away with a peace of mind.

back to more photos from bangkok

these chicken looks delicious but i never had a chance to try them


i am forever fascinated by the variety of purpose-built street food equipment
all these are made of bronze


this is a walled village and for some reason visitors are discouraged from entering; i tried a few different entrance and eventually succeeded; there were a lot of vendors selling fireworks inside
the police put up entry control for motor vehicles due to the political demonstration at the democracy monument

the thai PBS - my hotel manager they emulates the American PBS
most of the parcel delivery in this country is done by small couriers instead of multinational company like Fedex or UPS

speaking of the devil
braised pig ham hocks are very common
every time i visit bangkok i come across this vegetable vendor; he has the most section you can fit on a three wheel motorcycle

this motorcycle has served him well

courier delivering the most important drinks to businesses in the khao san road area
This shop serves these dessert snacks that made of slices of wonder bread and smeared with heavy load of margarine and syrupy jams of your choice. It is always jam packed with affluent customers. And yes, you can order a sweet cold drink to wash it down.


want some trans fat with your order? this lady's only duty is to slather margarine onto the toasted bread and pass it to the next staff who slather the syrupy topping according to the order

in my trips to asia i had been dying to eat these blood cockles but too afraid for the risks of parasites and lethal bacteria; the dilemma with eating them is they taste best when they are barely cooked
I would eventually found a restaurant which cooking I like. It is this one that has a long history. You can tell by the customers that come here that many are repeat customers.

alas their english menu is rather poorly translated from the thai one so what you get from what you think you are ordering can be very different
this is one of my favorite dish - delicious cuttlefish


the dipping condiment for the mussels is firery hot
seeing everyone is ordering the blood cockle i decided to take my chances
the tv crew covering the demonstration against amnesty bill dine there is always a good vote for the restaurant; they are not wasting any time doing backup of the video (the camcorder on their feet) they just shot while they eat
I seize a chance to ask the owner's son who speak the most of English how long they cooked the cockles. His paused for a few seconds struggling to come up with the English reply. "30 minutes". I thought great! The cockles should be relatively safe.

Not so fast. That cannot be right because if these cockles were cook 30 minutes they will have entirely different appearance. The umami will be completely cooked out and you might as well eat rubber bands. I knew he really meant to say 30 seconds but was confused minute as second in English.

Many night during dinner hours there are customers waiting in line for this restaurant. I was very surprise the staff always give me a table to myself.  Unlike most Thai restaurant the dishes here is the least sweet.
downpour outside - by the time i reached my hotel everything inside my backpack is drenched; my passport curled up like cooked squid the next day

another breakfast at my favorite cafe/restaurant with the modern decor
he is frying noodles for the Chiang Mai style soup noodle
this bite size fried bread sticks are very common in thailand; they taste exactly like the chinese counterpart
chinese style fried bread sticks called youtiao 油条 or 油炸鬼 (there is a folklore behind this tasty comfort food); the photo was taken in hong kong

this vendor post for me and said he has the best barbeque chicken in thailand; i was so full at the time but meant to go back and try it but never have a chance
a shop keeper swiping the sidewalk in front of her shop to prepare for business

this is how you make the most of the fare of a hired tuk tuk

strangest advertising billboard design at a bank - while i cannot read a single word of thai i can guess what it likely say



nearby outside the plaza is a concentration of many good eateries; i wanted to try this place for their delicious ham hock and duck but never had a chance to return there


in my previous trip i have conversation of the owner of this shop that has been around for many decades; most chinese thai speak thai for so long and rarely speak chinese so very few can speak chinese; more over most are second or third generation chinese thai

this shop is the most successful, it is jam packed with female customers; it has a iPad which you can browse and search the catalog of items they sell, if you cannot see them on display

these vintage vespa scooters are the workhorses - the delivery men use them to carry hundreds of kilos of goods; there must be a local cottage industry that manufactures replacement parts for them


i would love to get my hand on this classic and restore it
fake iPhones built with Android OS


i bought a lot of thai cookware from this shop in my trips
this is a very popular restaurant that serve excellent fried chicken, fried pork belly, and thai salads
i regret that i didn't order wings instead - the drumsticks are just too filling

the firery hot dipping sauce for the fried chicken
the common wisdom for experience cooks is to fry the chicken twice - not here; so goes one common cooking dogma out the window
i would learnt that i could pick my own pieces of chicken like the locals - when you finish eating the staff will tally up the number of chicken pieces you consumed by counting the bones
I have walked past this building countless number of times and never for a moment realize it's significance until during a chitchat with the manager of the hotel that I stay when visiting Bangkok. He told me this it the Old Siam Plaza and that I should visit it for the food court inside.

 interesting steel staircase
 it would turn out the food court sells mainly sweets of all kinds - yes, thais do have sweettooth
 




99% of food in this food court are desserts




 the shape is formed by molds
 the shape is formed by dispensing the batter with a squirt bottle
From the looks of these dessert I know they are not my cup of tea, so to speak. However I was very intrigued on how some of these desserts are made. I spent a lot of time at this vendor wanting to see how they make this desserts that resembles a folded bundle of noodles. I had to wait awhile for the lady to get everything prepared and when she felt it is the time to make it.

They use these big brass woks to boil some sort of syrup. The syrup acts as a cooking medium similar to the pot of hot oil you used to fry food. The orange dessert itself is made with a viscous batter. She constantly adjust and viscosity and stir it with a wire whisk to keep the consistency just right. Finally the secrete of the noodle forming is reveal in front of my eyes. She use this cone shape device that has small holes to drizzle the vicious batter into the wok of syrup. The process is quite labor intensive as it take a lot of drizzling to accumulate enough strings to make a serving.
drizzling the dessert batter into the boiling syrup
After she drizzled enough batter into the syrup she used a pair of thin metal tool to collect and organize the strings into a bundle.

The bundle is then neatly folded into a nice looking stack of dessert for sale. From what I can ascertain the dessert is made with some sweeten plums.
 the same dessert batter is used to make dessert of different appearance
 this appears to be a rice flour based dessert


 this store is most popular, it has all kinds of soup-like dessert very similar to the chinese counterparts

outside the plaza these folks are working on this security door that must weight a ton (figure of speech)

No comments:

Post a Comment