Monday, December 9, 2013

asia trip - winter 2013 part 6


This is a continuation of the series of posts on my recent trip to Asia.

these bamboos are for erecting scaffolding
puzzle of the day
Passing through this sidewalk construction this piqued my curiosity. The worker was applying a label to these strange looking contraptions which i had a hard time understanding their purpose based on the work being done - erecting pedestrian barriers on the sidewalk. The answer is he was preparing test coupons of the concrete used on the construction for lab analysis. Seems to be a make work project to me that the concrete function is to keep the barrier in place. They are not intended to be collision barriers.
 the only company (they have many stores in hong kong) that sells genuine herman miller furniture in the city
 one version chinese vegetarian food - problems is they tend to be quite sweet to my taste

anti-corruption department complaint center in wan chai
 
this would be my last attempt to find a place that serves decent chiu chow beef offal
I had tried to find the original taste of the Chiu Chow style beef offal etched in my memory from my youth. A few years ago I was able to find some in my trip back to Hong Kong. In recent two trips I cannot but to faced with the reality they are extinct. This last shop I visited is no exception. It has fallen to the victim to having to sell so many bowls just to break even with the huge overhead caused by the stratospheric rent in the city. For a eatery that sells only a handful of dishes such poor execution is just pitiful. Being a home cook I can do better any day of the week.
these meat balls and fish balls are some of the worst i had - the broth tasted like plain salted water with MSG
this tram is special that it does not suffered from the advertising bill board that most have; it has the shade of classic british racing green
view from my hotel window
 in a rare day inside an MTR that is not sardine packed
a lot of younger people now goes to franchise restaurants like this one - while the food in them are very pedestrian, one of their advantage is no surprise

an apartment for lease and for sale
sea cucumbers



luxury apartment advertising caters to the very well heeled expats - if you have to ask how much per square meter, you can't afford it; i think the prices are subjected to demand
this is a vegetarian dimsum dish made of layers tofu skin - i should have known better than to order it; it is lack of umami and very filling
 off to macau i went

No comments:

Post a Comment