Sunday, July 8, 2012

favicon

This morning I had a hard time getting out of bed. While in bed I decide to work on my favicon. I use the program which I learnt the meaning of the word "hate" - Microsoft's Paint. I had gave up using it over  a decade ago due to it's inflexible, crude and user hostile UI design.

In all fairness the current version came with Win 7 is quite decent once you get past the less than intuitive UI.

I didn't know the little icon thingies you see on the bookmark toolbar and on the page tabs are called favicon. You know what? Learn something everyday. They are 16x16 pixels so you can't go nuts with your artistic expression. Simplicity is key.

I decided that a fork, knife, and spoon would be fitting for my blog. 1/2 hour later it was done.


For some reason it didn't show up and I thought I have to have my own domain name for it to.

Then tonight (actually the next morning) I notice it is there now on my firefox browser. Depends what browser you use, not all supports favicon.

7/9 update - i want my favicon to reflect my heritage and my interest so i redesigned it. also constrained by a 16x16 pixel the fork, knife, and spoon look like turnips. the new favicon is the chinese word for eat and it is very fitting for one of my biggest passions.


who knows it may be a few more iterations; seems it takes quite some time to propagate through google's maze of server farms. also some browser like the mobile safari does not support favicon. come on, apple, you can do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment