Thursday, July 12, 2012

brunnhilde's new struts

Today was forecasted as another sunny hot day here. I set out early to install the front struts onto Brunnhilde before the day get too hot. I planned systematically to install the two struts taking advantage of the shade and the advance of the sun to minimize sun exposure. I hate struggling in a hot sun.

I installed the rear shock absorbers couple of days ago and it was relatively easy.

A cup of Americana and an orange and I was ready by 8:15am. My brain was fresh and I had the sense to orient Brunnhilde to take advantage of the shade of the house from the advancing sun. Brunnhilde is now facing East, with the front shaded against the morning sun still rising from the East towards the West.

start with the passenger side the sun would hit first
It took a bit of work to figure out how to set the rebound setting. Wanting to lessen the sways at speed bought on by wind gust in mountain passes, and undulating pavement in sweeping turns, I set it quite firm.
The most difficult part was loosening the nut on the top of the strut shaft from inside the vehicle. I went to Harborfreight last night to get the large wrenches needed to do this project. I wanted to get the extra deep offset box wrench but they were all sold out. I bought a set of extra long box wrench preparing for the 19mm bolts that fasten the strut to the steering knuckle.

As it turn out neither of the two set of wrenches I bought last night can reach the nut recessed in the deep dished washer to remove the nut securing the top of the strut rod. Fortunately I manage to borrow a 15/16" SAE (society of archaic engineering) wrench that barely able to grip just a bit more than half the depth of the lock nut from a neighbor. It was a bit of struggle to loosen the top nut.

SAE wrench barely has enough reach into the dished washer


stock strut on left still has the plastic dust shield on the cylinder - the dimensions are very close

The stock struts are in very good condition. There is no trace of oil leak nor any nick or pitting on the strut rod. FWIW testing them on a vice by hand found no detectable defects.

The while the outside dimensions are very close the Koni struts weight in 1 lb 2.5oz heavier, which make sense considering there is more plumbing inside.

cavity for rubber bushing

stock strut remove - steering knuckle supported by lower ball joint and steering linkage
koni attached to steering knuckle- 2 floor jacks come in handy; funny after i bought my real big floor jack I was going to sell the toy jack in a garage sale; i know now it is a keeper for the rainy days
 hillbilly impact wrench set for 136.00 +-0.5  ft-lb - i am using by extra-long wrench i bought from harbor freight last night
visual check - doesn't look like it gonna to fall off on the road
 i elected to reuse the stock (installed) lock nut - it is a superior than the one (in my hand) comes with the koni; also the SAE wrench does not have enough offset to reach the latter
all went as planned, passenger side done just when the advancing sun reaches it. now I can take my time with the driver side as it is shade by the vehicle. it was 10:00am
driver side stock strut
 koni installed - just need to slide the plastic dust shield up
11:00am, still sheltered by the house from the ever advancing parching sun -  just need to put the wheel back and the job is done

 All was done by 11:00am. It took just under 3 hours. A good part of the time was looking for a wrench to reach the top nut recessed in the dished washer in the cockpit.

I only have a chance for a bit of in town driving. The ride is noticeably "harder" and there seems to be more telegraphing of the vibration from the roughness of the road to the steering wheel. It is very much what I expected. The real tests would be on a trip with gusty wind and sweeping high speed curve with undulating pavement.

To install the struts on Brunnhilde I have to park my mini out from the garage out onto the road and in the sun in case I need to run to the store to buy a tool. Now mini is all jealous with Brunnhilde's Konis.


No comments:

Post a Comment